You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-03 14:09:02

foxcub

Problem with hibernate after updating and swap

I think the following post of mine is going to get lost in another thread (on suspend-to-ram) where it's not quite on topic, so I repost it at the top in the hope that people can help.

I'm having a problem with suspend to disk (running hibernate from hibernate-script) after I upgraded to 2.6.17. The problem (in my case) seems to be that swap is not activated at boot time. If I try to hibernate before I manually turn on swap, the logs show that it doesn't find swap and bails out. When I do turn on swap, it hibernates, but after the reboot there is still no swap, so it goes into the normal boot process. Maybe it has something to do with me switching to mkinitcpio?

Any ideas what could have gone wrong or suggestions about what I can try to fix this?

Thanks.

#2 2006-07-03 16:20:44

nogoma

Re: Problem with hibernate after updating and swap

Well, this may not be your problem, but I found my swap space got into some weird state after upgrading (and moving to initcpio). Basically, the system wasn't seeing the swap partition as swap space anymore; I had to run "mkswap <device>" on it again to correct it. Then again, if you can manually enable the swap space once you've booted, that probably isn't your problem. Also, if you're using initcpio, don't forget to include the "resume" hook in mkinitcpio.conf, which may be why you can't resume from the image. If none of these help, I'm pretty sure suspend2 supports writing to a regular file in your filesystem (instead of writing to your swap partition); you could try that as an alternative.

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#3 2006-07-03 16:32:55

foxcub

Re: Problem with hibernate after updating and swap

Oh, man, you are right on! mkswap fixed the swap issue, and I of course forgot the resume hook, so adding it and rerunning mkinitcpio fixed the problem.

Thanks a lot!

Board footer