You are not logged in.
Fonts in my Wine applications look sub-par unless I enable RGB sub-pixel rendering on my system (and yes, I've tried various suggestions about fixing Wine fonts, like enabling smoothing in the Wine config and changing my truetype interpreter in FREETYPE_PROPERTIES. Nothing works except the RGB setting). The problem is that I don't really care for how this makes my fonts look in my other applications, especially my terminal program. So is there some way I can set it so that the RGB subpixel rendering is only enabled for Wine?
Offline
man fonts-conf
FONTCONFIG_FILE is used to override the default configuration file.
FONTCONFIG_PATH is used to override the default configuration directory.If you can separate the fonts, you could match/edit the family you use in the wine client.
Offline
Sorry, but I'm not sure how that helps me. What does fonts-conf have to do with RGB sub-pixel rendering? That's a video setting.
Offline
That's a video setting.
No.
Offline
No it isn't.
RGB sub-pixel rendering is all about font appearance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subpixel_rendering
Offline
Ah, okay. Sorry for the confusion, then. But still, this only lets me set it on a per-font basis, correct? I'm not even sure what fonts the wine apps are using. There's no way to do it for a particular app?
Offline
You specify a seperate FONTCONFIG_PATH for each application then font configuration could contain a snippet that matches all fonts but applies the RGB sub-pixel rendering you desire.
Offline
That makes sense. But now I can't figure out what exactly to put in the fontconfig file. The example at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … _rendering isn't doing it for me. The way I normally turn it on is through the XFCE control panel; I'm not sure what exactly it's doing or how to translate it.
Offline
We didn't figure what xfce does, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=231437
But the rgba values are documented in the fonts-conf manpage (and I guess xfce lists the constants by some sensible name in its config?)
Offline
Okay, so XFCE sets the font stuff systemwide through xfsettingsd. I can query the current settings (awkwardly) with xfconf-query:
> xfconf-query -l -c xsettings|grep Xft
/Xft/Antialias
/Xft/DPI
/Xft/Hinting
/Xft/HintStyle
/Xft/RGBA
> xfconf-query -p /Xft/Antialias -c xsettings
1
> xfconf-query -p /Xft/DPI -c xsettings
96
> xfconf-query -p /Xft/Hinting -c xsettings
1
> xfconf-query -p /Xft/HintStyle -c xsettings
hintfull
> xfconf-query -p /Xft/RGBA -c xsettings
rgbSo guessing at the fontconfig equivalent, I came up with this:
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
<match target="font">
<edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
<const>rgb</const>
</edit>
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>1</bool>
</edit>
<edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
<bool>1</bool>
</edit>
<edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
<int>3</int>
</edit>
<edit name="dpi" mode="assign">
<double>96</double>
</edit>
</match>
</fontconfig>But it doesn't produce the same results, doggone it. I'm pretty stumped. Did the XFCE people come up with a better way to antialias fonts than the freetype people? Or (more likely) am I just screwing up the fontconfig?
Offline
xfconf-query -l -c xsettings|grep Xft
Those are xft settings which would be altered by xrdb, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ig_support
This would also imply that wine, despite depending on it, doesn't actually use fontconfig (and it doesn't link libfontconfig itself, so unless there's a dlopen that's actually the case)
Pretty dated, but https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-b … 37560.html suggests that wine just prefers xft over fontconfig and in that case the sheer presence o fthe xft settings, put there by xfce, nukes everything you do with fontconfig.
Offline