You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-30 18:44:58

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 3,100

[SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

I ask because of https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/51506 seeming to be i686 only not only from the category but from the posts of those affected specifically noting it only affecting i686.
As i686 support was dropped I filed a closure request against the bug but the request was removed without the usual accompanying email explanation.

Last edited by loqs (2017-11-30 23:50:14)

Offline

#2 2017-11-30 18:53:58

Eschwartz
Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 1,311

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

I don't see where the comments implied it only affects i686.

The initial report was filed against i686 presumably because that is what the reporter was using (people should not do this...)
Comments 2 and 4 confirms the issue for x86_64, comment 3 confirms it again for i686. No comment said "oh, I tried it on i686 and it didn't work, but rebooting to an x86_64 kernel worked".

Offline

#3 2017-11-30 19:11:12

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 3,100

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

So the practise of sending emails with such reasoning is optional?
Edit:
I am also unable to find in your reply an answer that is directly responsive to the initial question of are i686 bugs still supported.

Last edited by loqs (2017-11-30 19:57:40)

Offline

#4 2017-11-30 20:01:57

Trilby
Forum Fellow
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 17,600
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

loqs wrote:

I am also unable to find in your reply an answer that is directly responsive to the initial question of are i686 bugs still supported.

It's easy to not find something if you don't look (emphasis added):

Eschwartz wrote:

The initial report was filed against i686 presumably because that is what the reporter was using (people should not do this...)

Last edited by Trilby (2017-11-30 20:03:23)


Resist the GNU world order.

Offline

#5 2017-11-30 20:04:03

Stewart Little
Member
From: Holsworthy, Devon
Registered: 2017-01-18
Posts: 79

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

loqs wrote:

So the practise of sending emails with such reasoning is optional?
Edit:
I am also unable to find in your reply an answer that is directly responsive to the initial question of are i686 bugs still supported.

Arch Linux no longer supports i686 see End of i686 support news, as such I hardly doubt that the developers will now do bug fixes for the i686 processors and as such it'll be the Arch Linux 32 project which bugs relating to i686 should be filed and its developers will fix it for that distro. Arch Linux 32 is a separate project not sponsored by the main Arch Linux project team as such i686 as stated is no-longer supported meaning no more bug fixes!

If you are using that version i686 still. Then migrate to the Arch Linux 32 distro and file bug reports from its website and not ours. If you still continue to post posts that aren't Arch Linux related and are for third-party distributions then an administrator/moderator might bin this topic in the "Topics going nowhere" section if you persists or in the "bin" section if they deem it to be pointless.

Last edited by Stewart Little (2017-11-30 20:07:55)


LinkedIn   •   Twitter  •   GitHub

Registered Linux User #618586

Offline

#6 2017-11-30 20:12:54

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 3,100

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

Trilby wrote:

It's easy to not find something if you don't look (emphasis added):

Eschwartz wrote:

The initial report was filed against i686 presumably because that is what the reporter was using (people should not do this...)

Trilby I took that to mean bugs should only be filed against a specific architecture if there is proof it is limited to such an architecture thank you for your alternative interpretation.
Edit:
That still leaves the question of is the sending of an email response when a closure request is denied optional.
Edit2:
@Stewart Little sorry for not referencing the end of i686 support notice specifically I was aware of it which was why I filed the closure request.
The rest of your response seems to be speculation all reasonable and I in fact agree with.
It is not a response for the project or individual project members which I understand you can not give and was noting in my edit to post #3 I did not think Eschwartz had given.
This is slightly off the topic though that this in my opinion could have been resolved simply by who ever denied the request posting reasoning such as  Eschwartz provided.
It leaves me in the position of having no idea why it was denied and if I post it again I risk being banned.

Last edited by loqs (2017-11-30 20:28:56)

Offline

#7 2017-11-30 23:27:47

Scimmia
Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 6,324

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

I denied the closure request the same way I deny or accept any closure requests. If you didn't get an email about it, something probably went wrong, but the request was not "removed".

Edit: A snippet from the history

2017-11-30	loqs (loqs)		Requested task closure - Issue only affects i686.
2017-11-30	Doug Newgard (Scimmia)	Project Manager denied request - Not according to the comments

Last edited by Scimmia (2017-11-30 23:35:11)

Offline

#8 2017-11-30 23:36:06

Trilby
Forum Fellow
From: Massachusetts, USA
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 17,600
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

You definitely shouldn't post the same request on that bug report again.  But I don't see a reason to conclude that you can't make such requests on bugs that are actually i686 specific.

Perhaps you could help me understand your purpose in this thread - it seems I have missed it (full disclosure, I even reported this as sounding like you may be airing a personal frustration - I may have been wrong and hope I am).  What kind of response or resolution do you seek in this thread?

You claim to have requested that bug be removed as it was i686 only and posts in it said so.  This is factually incorrect: posts on the bug clearly highlight that it affects x86_64 as well.  Perhaps you misread those leading you to wrongly request it's deletion.

So whoever saw your request seems to have acted rightly to not honor it.  So that leaves why were you not emailed to say they did not honor it.  I wasn't aware that this would be normal practice - it doesn't seem needed when it seems readily apparent that the report was made in error.  But is an appology for not getting an email with an explanation what you now seek in this thread?

(I really don't intend any facetious tone - I just really don't see where you hope this thread could go.)


Resist the GNU world order.

Offline

#9 2017-11-30 23:37:29

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 3,100

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

Thanks for the clarification as I have gotten previous emails from the bugs email address previously I was surprised I did not receive one this time.  Most likely as you say some thing strange happened to the email.

Offline

#10 2017-11-30 23:42:37

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 3,100

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

Trilby before Eschwartz pointed out to me my mistake I genuinely believed the bug report was i686 only and the lack of email was simply someone deleting the request without a response which I regarded as unhelpful.
Obviously I was wrong about the report bug report being limited to i686.  I assume i686 issues can be reported for closure if they have not already been closed already.
There was some frustration as I do not want to repeat mistakes but I was genuinely unclear what the mistake was until the obvious was pointed out to me.
Edit:
Oops double post sorry
Edit2:
I admitted I completely misread at least one of the bug comments as saying it works on version X of x86_64 but not version Y as it works on x86_64 but not i686.
@Eschwartz and @Scimmia would it be better in future to email you using the listed addresses instead?  I was unsure if that was allowed.

Last edited by loqs (2017-11-30 23:48:49)

Offline

#11 2017-11-30 23:55:18

Scimmia
Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2012-09-01
Posts: 6,324

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

loqs, you can email us (well me, at least), but honestly, the best way to contact either of us would be through IRC. We both are very active in multiple Arch channels, including #archlinux-bugs.

Offline

#12 2017-12-01 00:19:53

Eschwartz
Bug Wrangler
Registered: 2014-08-08
Posts: 1,311

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

Trilby wrote:
loqs wrote:

I am also unable to find in your reply an answer that is directly responsive to the initial question of are i686 bugs still supported.

It's easy to not find something if you don't look (emphasis added):

Eschwartz wrote:

The initial report was filed against i686 presumably because that is what the reporter was using (people should not do this...)

What I actually meant was as loqs thought -- people should not set the Architecture field to i686 or x86_64 just because that is what they are using. The field is there to sort against bugs that are confirmed to have architecture-dependent behavior.

As a completely separate point, bugs which are i686 specific should be pursued in the archlinux32 support fora/bugtracker, until and unless archlinux.org determines to host that ourselves...

...

I am fine with being emailed, but like Scimmia it is generally easier to reach me on IRC. The #archlinux-bugs channel is a low-traffic one mostly used for alerts by arch-bugbot and for me and Scimmia to pass messages back and forth, but PMs work too.

That being said, the emails are handled by the bugtracker software, and automatically generated by the mere action of rejecting a request. While it is possible to leave the comment box empty when rejecting a request, I am fairly positive you should still get an email saying that the request was rejected (but not specifying a reason).

So not getting an email definitely points to some failure in the bugtracker software notifying you, whether that is because of a bugtracker bug (hah big_smile) or because of email routing issues or because you somehow got off the notification list is a different question.

Offline

#13 2017-12-01 00:23:24

loqs
Member
Registered: 2014-03-06
Posts: 3,100

Re: [SOLVED] Are i686 bugs still supported?

Perhaps one of us will receive a bounce back or delayed email over the next few days.  It does seem that a lot of arch activity centres around its IRC channels may have to get over my irrational phobia of it.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB