You are not logged in.
Hi guys,
I'm biting my keyboard over setting up LightDM. It's the first time I'm installing an Arch Linux box from scratch since 2012 and I've never had this much trouble.
I have a ThinkPad t470p with Core i7-7820HQ and (unfortunately) an NVIDIA Optimus setup wired through an Intel GPU (as far as I understand).
Setting up the system wasn't any trouble at all, but for transparency's sake, here's what I did:
SecureBoot via PreLoader, then grub into a fully encrypted ZFS setup where all partitions are Datasets (using the archzfs repo and arch default kernel)
No Swap so far as the machine has 16g of RAM and I don't care about suspend right now. It's an office machine. Will revisit once resume from ZFS is a thing
EcryptFS-encrypted $HOME
xmonad using dzen2, conky and tint2
Dual 1080p monitors connected vi DP on the docking station.
Everything works plenty fine, even modesetting using the NVIDIA driver, except when I try to get LightDM running. I've been using Slim on all my machines for as long as I can think back, but seeing that it's 2017 and looking at the general state of the project, I thought I'd be a good idea to try the new hotness. I just don't seem capable of setting things up.
My issue is that LightDM just won't come up with a login screen. And when it does it's painfully slow to load, in the minutes before showing its UI. Every odd boot, things just work, at other times, it comes up when I restart the service, which again takes forever.
I followed the instructions in the Arch (and Gentoo, and Ubuntu) wiki word for word, even fully wiped and reinstalled several components of the system while trying.
Did the screen-setup script thing while trying to use the NVIDIA chip exclusively to no avail. LightDM would always just come up with a black screen despite running the script and executing the xrandr commands. Sometimes it would later show up on its own, sometimes suddenly after clicking a few times.
Tried both a static xorg.conf.d-based screen setup and a dynamic xrandr-based one
Tried Intel, Nvidia, and nouveau drivers. Thinds kinda work using intel. It's just extremely slow (as in "to appear". It's lot laggy once I have a prompt)
Tried logind-check-graphical=true
Tried the webkit2-greeter instead of the GTK3 one
Configured the greeter not to look for anything in $HOME while it's still encrypted
Tried plymouth
What's worse is that even when things work and the greeter comes up, I get a black screen once I use light-locker every time so I have to kill light-locker's process from a VT to get back into my session. Meanwhile, xinit always comes up just right, and lxdm works like a charm.
Also there's nothing in lightDM's logs that could point me to a possible issue, apart from:
CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failedonce per invocation in /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log.
I'll be fine with lxdm and i3lock for now. But I kinda like the idea of using the DM for locking as well like you would using a real desktop session. Plus it just drives me nuts that despite all the variables in this setup, I can't even squeeze any form of deterministic behavior out of it. Things just seem to randomly work and stop working.
Did anyone have a problem like this recently? I've read a number of posts dated two or three years back describing similar issues. But nothing recent enough to be of any help for me. Most of the times the solution was just to wait for the next release and downgrade in the meantime.
For reference:
uname -a
Linux t470p 4.14.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 30 18:33:13 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux /proc/cmdline (don't be confused by the forced edid for eDP-1. Things get too small on 4k.
BOOT_IMAGE=/ROOT/default@/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=ZFS=zroot/ROOT/default rw cryptdevice=/dev/nvme0n1p2:nvme zfs=zroot/ROOT/default cryptkey=rootfs:/etc/luks/keyfile video=eDP-1:1920x1080 nvidia-drm.modeset=1cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-x11.conf
##INTEL
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
BusID "0:02:00"
EndSection
##NVIDIA
#Section "Module"
# Load "modesetting"
#EndSection
#
#Section "Device"
# Identifier "Nvidia Card"
# Driver "nvidia"
# VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
# BoardName "GeForce 940 MX"
# BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
## Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
## Option "ForceFullCompositionPipeline" "off"
#EndSection My last lightdm.log. Greeter would not appear, so I stopped the service.
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Starting Light Display Manager 1.24.0, UID=0 PID=16907
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /usr/local/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration dirs from /etc/xdg/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading configuration from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module local
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module xremote
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registered seat module unity
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using D-Bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Monitoring logind for seats
[+0.00s] DEBUG: New seat added from logind: seat0
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Loading properties from config section Seat:*
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating greeter session
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Creating display server of type x
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Could not run plymouth --ping: Failed to execute child process <E2><80><9C>plymouth<E2><80><9D> (No such file or directory)
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Using VT 7
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display on VT 7
[+0.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/x-0.log
[+0.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Writing X server authority to /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+0.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Launching X Server
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Launching process 16912: /usr/sbin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
[+0.00s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Waiting for ready signal from X server :0
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Acquired bus name org.freedesktop.DisplayManager
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Registering seat with bus path /org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
[+0.00s] DEBUG: Loading users from org.freedesktop.Accounts
[+0.00s] DEBUG: User /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User1001 added
[+0.00s] DEBUG: User /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User1000 added
[+0.02s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to
[+0.61s] DEBUG: Got signal 10 from process 16912
[+0.61s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Got signal from X server :0
[+0.61s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Connecting to XServer :0
[+0.61s] DEBUG: Launching process 16929: /usr/bin/screenconf
[+1.26s] DEBUG: Process 16929 exited with return value 0
[+1.26s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Exit status of /usr/bin/screenconf: 0
[+1.26s] CRITICAL: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
[+1.26s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server ready, starting session authentication
[+1.26s] DEBUG: Session pid=16955: Started with service 'lightdm-greeter', username 'lightdm'
[+1.27s] DEBUG: Session pid=16955: Authentication complete with return value 0: Success
[+1.27s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Session authenticated, running command
[+1.27s] DEBUG: Session pid=16955: Running command /usr/sbin/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[+1.27s] DEBUG: Creating shared data directory /var/lib/lightdm-data/lightdm
[+1.27s] DEBUG: Session pid=16955: Logging to /var/log/lightdm/seat0-greeter.log
[+1.30s] DEBUG: Activating VT 7
[+1.30s] DEBUG: Activating login1 session c3
[+1.30s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c3
[+1.30s] DEBUG: Session c3 is already active
[+51.93s] DEBUG: Seat seat0 changes active session to c1
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Got signal 15 from process 1
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Caught Terminated signal, shutting down
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Stopping display manager
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping display server
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Sending signal 15 to process 16912
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Stopping session
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Terminating login1 session c3
[+84.40s] DEBUG: Session pid=16955: Sending SIGTERM
[+89.40s] DEBUG: Sending signal 9 to process 16912
[+89.41s] DEBUG: Process 16912 terminated with signal 9
[+89.41s] DEBUG: XServer 0: X server stopped
[+89.41s] DEBUG: Releasing VT 7
[+89.41s] DEBUG: XServer 0: Removing X server authority /run/lightdm/root/:0
[+89.41s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Display server stopped xrandr screen config script:
#!/bin/bash
eDP1=$(xrandr|grep -o "eDP-*1*-*1")
DP31=$(xrandr|grep -o "DP-*1*-*3-1")
DP32=$(xrandr|grep -o "DP-*1*-*3-2")
if [[ -z $(xrandr | grep ' connected' | grep "$DP32") ]]
then
xrandr --output $eDP1 --auto --primary
xrandr --output $DP31 --off
xrandr --output $DP32 --off
else
xrandr --output $eDP1 --off
xrandr --output $DP31 --auto --left-of $DP32 --primary --pos 0x0
xrandr --output $DP32 --auto --rotate left --right-of $DP31 --pos 1920x0
fi
#always return 0 for lightdm
exit 0/etc/lightdm/display_setup.sh (for NVIDIA)
#!/bin/bash
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto Offline
Please edit your thread title to one that describes your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post
Offline