You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-08 16:09:21

Walton

[Solved] Installing on Dell Inspiron 7000: Can no longer boot live usb

Hey guys I'm having a weird problem. But I thought I'd start with what I'm trying to do.

Goal:
I have two drives, a 1T HDD and a 500Gb NVMe. I want to have Windows on the 1T and Arch on the NVMe.

Problem:
When I try to boot the live usb (from selecting device to boot from, F12) I get the Dell support assistant.

What I've done:
I created a live usb with Rufus, using dd, and booted up fine. Went to the bios (F2), turned off secure boot and switched the SATA to AHCI, but could not enable legacy ROM. Arch booted up so I thought nothing about it. Went through the normal install, using the guide. I partition like the following (using cfdisk):

nvme0np1   500 Mib   EFI partition
nvme0np2   20 Gb      for root
nvme0np3   8 Gb        SWAP
nvme0np4   rest          for home

I do run `mkfs.fat -F32 nvme0np1` and `mkfs.ext4` on nvme0np{2,4} and do the swap part. Hit no problems and out of habit installed grub. I restart, pulling the live usb, and select device to boot from (F12). I can only see my 1T drive. Reading up I see people talking about rEFInd is the new standard to use (you can see how dated I am), and so I plug the usb back in, chroot `pacman -Rns grub` and install rEFInd. Then run the standard install script. Boot back up and again only see the 1T. Again I plug in the usb and when booting up into it I get the Dell support assistant and it runs a check on everything, including the NVMe drive. After making a terrible screech to let me know everything is just dandy, it boots into windows. So I open windows disk manager and see that the partitions look right. So try again and same thing. So I go back to disk manager and try to reformat the drive and completely start over. It won't let me touch the EFI partition.

So I have two problems really. 1) I can not figure out how to boot from a live usb and 2) what did I do wrong in the install process? Why is my NVMe drive not a bootable device? I would really appreciate some help here. Thanks.

[Solution]

Disabled the PPT and was able to get everything working. The bios is wonky.

Last edited by Walton (2017-12-08 21:06:32)

Board footer