#26 2017-12-02 15:06:24

lo1

#27 2017-12-02 15:09:04

boojum
Website

Re: [solved] WiFi - no carrier

Io1 wrote:

What about the rest?

I want OP to resolve his issue but, man, if you're right... I'm a complete ass roll

#28 2017-12-02 15:16:13

ignas

That's all there was to it. Should I add the rest of the presumably missing configuration?

#29 2017-12-02 16:05:01

lo1

boojum wrote:
Io1 wrote:

What about the rest?

I want OP to resolve his issue but, man, if you're right... I'm a complete ass roll

Nevermind, we're all missing things sometimes wink

ignas wrote:

That's all there was to it. Should I add the rest of the presumably missing configuration?

Yes, that's for debugging (and making a connection "The Arch Way", see the wiki) with wpa_cli.
Anyway: first, check if you're router is really using WPA2. Then, please understand that

Wiki wrote:

The passphrase can alternatively be defined in clear text by enclosing it in quotes, if the resulting security problems are not of concern

network={
    ssid="MYSSID"
    psk="passphrase"
}

So, if by any chance your passphrase is stored in clear text in your wpa_supplicant.conf, add those quotes.
If this is not helping, then boojum was right and you'd better try another dhcp client.
Next thing I'd check if the previous doesn't work: are you sure you're not using any other network manager? Have you set a proper hostname during the installation of arch?
If nothing of this is helpful, I think I ran out of magic.

#30 2017-12-03 11:05:33

ignas

lo1 wrote:
boojum wrote:
Io1 wrote:

What about the rest?

Nevermind, we're all missing things sometimes wink

ignas wrote:

Yes, that's for debugging (and making a connection "The Arch Way", see the wiki) with wpa_cli.
Anyway: first, check if you're router is really using WPA2. Then, please understand that

Wiki wrote:

The passphrase can alternatively be defined in clear text by enclosing it in quotes, if the resulting security problems are not of concern

network={
    ssid="MYSSID"
    psk="passphrase"
}

So, if by any chance your passphrase is stored in clear text in your wpa_supplicant.conf, add those quotes.
If this is not helping, then boojum was right and you'd better try another dhcp client.
Next thing I'd check if the previous doesn't work: are you sure you're not using any other network manager? Have you set a proper hostname during the installation of arch?
If nothing of this is helpful, I think I ran out of magic.

Alright, I've added the rest of the config. The PSK key was just a seemingly random mess of letters and numerals. I've commented that line out and added another one with the real password and encased that password in quotation marks. No dice.
DHClient doesn't seem to work either.

#31 2017-12-03 16:08:04

ewaller
Administrator

Let's back up a few steps and see if things are working at a lower level.

What are the output of sudo iw dev wlp8s0 scan
?

Last edited by ewaller (2017-12-03 16:08:18)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#32 2017-12-06 20:47:53

Triver

Sorry for kind of hijacking this thread but I happen to have the exact same issue on my older Samsung N150 notebook (or I guess the symptoms are the same).

Like OP, everything was working initially with my system/configuration but after about a year-long period of not using the notebook the issue appeared.

However for some reason the cli tool 'wifi-menu' still works for me, and in cases where it failed to connect to my network in there I can afterwards even use the original 'dhcpcd <interface>' command again to connect to the network without any issues (at least for the duration of the session).

I haven't had time yet to do some further investigations (since the system is pretty low priority for me), but since I just saw this thread with the seemingly same issue I figured I'd add my two cents here smile

Last edited by Triver (2017-12-06 20:49:32)

#33 2017-12-10 19:39:35

ignas

ewaller wrote:

Let's back up a few steps and see if things are working at a lower level.

What are the output of sudo iw dev wlp8s0 scan
?

It says:

command failed: Invalid argument (-22)

Is it the error on my side or yours?
Also, running it without sudo tells me that "operation is not permitted".
EDIT: after running the wpa_supplicant command the device seems to have lost the carrier. Running

ip link

prior to wpa_supplicant gives me

<BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000

and after

<NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DORMANT mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000

Last edited by ignas (2017-12-10 19:58:34)

#34 2017-12-20 16:27:41

ignas

Turns out WiFi had to be enabled via the keyboard. Argh!
For some reason it was automatically enabled on my previous install.

Board footer