You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-10 21:50:43

nermolov

[SOLVED] Gnome shell hangs when dragging something in Activites view

Created a brand new Arch install last night; setup LUKS full disk encryption, followed standard install procedure, installed the gnome group and mesa + xf86-video-ati for my older amd card, then enabled gdm.

When I start to drag something in the Activities overview in gnome-shell, everything runs fine until I release the object (Trying to move a window to another workspace, rearranging the favorites). The shell then hangs and can be recovered by going into a tty and running killall -HUP gnome-shell

Some users have reported these kinds of issues occuring because of a non-standard cursor, but I am using the default (Adwaita) cursor and even compared the cursor files with my working debian testing system - they're exactly the same.

Using journalctl to look at the logs, I get the following repeated hundreds of times on crash (the second block is repeated intermittently only though): 

Dec 10 15:34:15 arch-desk gnome-shell[3648]: JS ERROR: Error: Object St.Widget (0x559627c8e730), has been already deallocated - impossible to access to it. This might be caused by the fact that the object has been destroyed from C code using something such as destroy(), dispose(), or remove() vfuncs
                                             _Draggable<._dragActorDropped@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dnd.js:504:25
                                             wrapper@resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/_legacy.js:82:22
                                             _Draggable<._onEvent@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dnd.js:211:24
                                             _getEventHandlerActor/<@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dnd.js:54:46
Dec 10 15:34:19 arch-desk gnome-shell[3648]: JS ERROR: Error: Object St.Widget (0x559627c8e730), has been already deallocated - impossible to access to it. This might be caused by the fact that the object has been destroyed from C code using something such as destroy(), dispose(), or remove() vfuncs
                                             _Draggable<._dragActorDropped@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dnd.js:466:22
                                             _Draggable<._onEvent@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dnd.js:211:24
                                             _getEventHandlerActor/<@resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/dnd.js:54:46

Looking online for this error seems to provide nothing...I'm at a loss.

Last edited by nermolov (2017-12-10 23:49:01)

#2 2017-12-10 22:03:07

nermolov

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome shell hangs when dragging something in Activites view

Found this post that claimed that there's some issue with gjs 1.50.3 so I downgraded to 1.50.2-1 ... the issue is gone! Now I'm not sure where I need to go to report this bug as it seems pretty major...

Also for future reference if I run a pacman -Syu will it upgrade gjs back to 1.50.3? I got this version from the arch archives.

#3 2017-12-10 22:14:38

Slithery
Administrator

If you'd read the post you'd have seen that the bug has already been reported.

If you want to avoid pacman updating gjs before this is fixed then you need to add it to your IgnorePkg list in pacman.conf.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2017-12-10 23:24:06

ooo

No need for IgnorePkg. The broken update was already reverted, and gjs-1.50.2-1 is currently the version available form official repos.

Board footer