You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-11 00:18:59

afader

Fontconfig, emojis, and Firefox

So I use the fontconfig-infinality-ultimate packages previously maintained by bohoomil, so my fontconfig is slightly strange. That being said, I have a fontconfig built around Noto Color Emoji such that I get the latest full color emojis which display in the GNOME interface and in Chrome and most applications. My config basically prepends Noto Color Emoji such that I don't hit any of the other emjoi fonts and don't need to hack anything involving Bitstream Vera, DejaVu or the EmojiOne Color pack. I prefer not to upgrade back to trunk fontconfig because although folks have claimed that infinality-like configuration is possible, the fonts just don't look as good to my eye.

Anyway, I am happy with my config. The one exception is Firefox. Firefox displays blank white boxes for all emoji. If I reset my infinality fontconfig presets back to defaults, I can display some mix of DejaVu and EmojiOne fonts in both Firefox and Chrome, so that suggests to me that the problem is that Firefox itself is selecting Noto Color Emoji, but it can't render it for some reason. It's strange because I thought Firefox had SVG fonts. I suppose the alternatives are that I can add rules for Firefox specifically to use EmojiOne Color instead. It would be nicer though if Firefox itself could just render the font. Is there a setting somewhere I can change for this? Is it maybe fixed in newer fontconfig in a way I might be able to backpatch?

#2 2017-12-11 00:32:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Fontconfig, emojis, and Firefox

Moving to AUR Issues...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer