You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-12 11:05:28

Cracky7

Desktop completely freezing

After trying to figure out what was going on for a few months, I'm finally giving up and asking for help.

My desktop with Arch Linux installed randomly freezes from time to time, and the only solution is to force-shut off the computer. I haven't been able to find any rhyme or reason to this. It will happen without opening any apps, or when at full load. It will happen shortly after booting up, or after hours of work. I honestly have no idea what's going on. Between the first time it happened (can't even remember when that was) and now, I'm pretty sure all or most of my packages have been upgraded.

When it freezes, the keyboard becomes unresponsive. The lights don't start flashing, and NumLock and similar don't do anything. Thankfully I've never lost any work because of it, but I've also been working on my laptop more just in case.

Any ideas?

#2 2017-12-12 11:59:56

seth

Re: Desktop completely freezing

trying to figure out what was going on for a few months

Hardware specs, software stack (drivers, desktop environment), dmesg, journal from a frozen session, and whether you tried to ping the machine and of course the lts kernel.

Board footer