You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-13 07:51:23

lviggiani

[SOLVED] Yaourt and package compression

Hi, I'm using yaourt for installing / upgrading packages from the AUR.
As far as I understand, yaourt is an helper that uses makepkg to create the package, compress as .pkg.tag.xz and pass to pacman that installs it.

IMHO, in this chain there is a lot of wasted time and resources for first compressing and then decompressing the package when it's being installed by pacman.
Sometimes compression takes very long time (e.g. google chrome and other big binaries), so I'm wondering if there is a way to pass the uncompressed generated "package" directly to pacman for installation.
Thanks.

Last edited by lviggiani (2017-12-13 08:11:06)

#2 2017-12-13 07:52:50

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Yaourt and package compression

Not an Installation issue, moving to AUR Issues.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-12-13 07:59:16

phw

Inside  /etc/makepkg.conf there are two settings PKGEXT and SRCEXT, the default to:

PKGEXT='.pkg.tar.xz'
SRCEXT='.src.tar.gz'

Those extensions also determine the used compression. You can change the compression or remove it completely with e.g.:

PKGEXT='.pkg.tar'
SRCEXT='.src.tar'

It's a big timesaver when you regularly build packages for local installation only.

#4 2017-12-13 08:10:50

lviggiani

Thanks!

phw wrote:

Inside  /etc/makepkg.conf there are two settings PKGEXT and SRCEXT, the default to:

PKGEXT='.pkg.tar.xz'
SRCEXT='.src.tar.gz'

Those extensions also determine the used compression. You can change the compression or remove it completely with e.g.:

PKGEXT='.pkg.tar'
SRCEXT='.src.tar'

It's a big timesaver when you regularly build packages for local installation only.

Board footer