You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-02 11:31:39

Komodo

umount -l vs umount -f

:?: Why is it that a forced unmount never works, whereas a lazy unmount always does? :?:

From what I can recall, forced unmount redirects I/O operations with badfs, right? And lazy unmount just unmounts your drive and cleans up all links to it later on.

But why does forced unmount never work? I can understand why lazy unmount works, since it ignores and bypasses any problems, and worries about them later...

Looking at the manpage for umount:

-f     Force unmount (in case of an unreachable NFS system).  (Requires
              kernel 2.1.116 or later.)

-l     Lazy unmount. Detach the filesystem from the filesystem  hierar-
              chy now, and cleanup all references to the filesystem as soon as
              it is not busy anymore.  (Requires kernel 2.4.11 or later.)

So am I to understand from this that umount -f is in fact only for one specific situation - where you have an unreachable NFS system?

Personally I've only mounted Server Message Block volumes, so I don't know how similar NFS is. Isn't it basically the linux version of SMB though?

Following on from this, I assume that the situation referred to in the manpage section quoted above would be where you've mounted an NFS system and the volume is then disconnected at its remote location?

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#2 2006-07-04 12:01:09

Galdona

Re: umount -l vs umount -f

i was wondering the same thing

#3 2006-07-04 13:46:42

user

What are you trying to do?(WAYTTD)

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#4 2006-07-04 13:50:47

Gullible Jones

I think he might be trying to unmount a filesystem so he can fsck it.

#5 2006-07-04 17:01:34

jaboua

I've had the same problem several times - in the cases of a CD, loop filesystem or something being busy but I can't find out why. umount -f never worked for me either - so until recently I used to reboot, but then experimenting a bit I got it to unmount with -dilf options and used that since then - but it might be enough with just -l since it works for you...

#6 2006-07-04 21:08:54

_Gandalf_

I had many problems like this, Actually I don't store MP3/Movies/Video Clips on my laptop, they are all on an external HDD on the server where I mount it via NFS, sometimes my wireless router go crazy so the NFS is uinreachable... If this happens when I'm watching a movie, then I am way beyond screwed lol, coz I only used sync to mount it to prevent files be lost, this is good but not when the NFS goes off. I used to restart in this case, but sometimes umount -f/l works, most of the time it doesn't, I just reboot... kinda sucks, but it's ok it happens once/twice a year so it's ok

Board footer