You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-18 10:44:03

solskogen

CPU throttle on a new laptop?

I've got my self a new Clevo N130WU, but at least with Arch Linux it overheats if I run something that uses all cpu resources (cpuburn for instance, or compile with all cores) and it will complain in dmesg about cpu throttling. Sometimes gcc also crash, probably due to overheating...

The CPU is quite new: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz

Anything I can or should do? RMA it?

#2 2017-12-18 11:37:06

jaergenoth

Re: CPU throttle on a new laptop?

CPU throttling during 100% load is sadly pretty common with laptops. If you want a laptop with no throttling you would either need a very weak CPU, or a very expensive laptop.
I got around this on my laptop by completely disabling boost on the 4th gen i7, and just running it with the base clock frequency (2.6Ghz). Not the most ideal solution, as it takes away some processing power.

Cooling solutions on below 1000$ laptops are a bit meh for running on full load for long periods of time.

GCC crashing due to the processor on the other hand  seems a bit odd, it should not crash even if the CPU throttles.
If GCC actually crashes because of the processor, there might be something wrong with it, and you should propably RMA it.

Edit:
Manufacturers have also been known to use cheap, low quality thermal paste, so you might want to replace that with better quality thermal paste.
Good thermal paste can lower the temperature by a few degrees, when compared to a low quality thermal paste.

Last edited by jaergenoth (2017-12-18 11:41:21)

#3 2017-12-18 11:52:15

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I agree with the thermal paste comment.  Something else you can look into (although likely not exposed in the BIOS) is the cvore setting.  Limiting the frequency of the CPU is an indirect method of limiting the voltage applied to it.  If you chip is stable at a lower vcore setting, that will give you the most impact on temperature reduction.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2017-12-18 13:21:59

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I would refrain from doing any "maintenance" on the laptop that is not described in the user manual. The OP does say it is new so better not do anything that might invalidate the warranty, or at least make it more difficult to get a replacement.

I do agree that crashing is strange, at most it should throttle and get slower, worst case the machine would completely shut down if some critical temperature is reached. Make sure you have installed the intel-ucode package and configured your system to update the microcode early, it might be something as simple as that.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2017-12-18 15:07:25

solskogen

The BIOS is newly upgraded even if it is a pretty new machine. intel-ucode is also installed, but no new microcode is installed as far as I can see.
Because of reasons unknown, I can replace the thermal grease without voiding warranty. I've got green light from the seller.
Yes, I also find it wierd that gcc crashes. I've yet to see any other program crash, but that's probably due to the fact that I've only run gcc to "burn" it.
I did a never ending loop of compiling the linux kernel. It went ok for 3 hours, but suddenly it began to crash. And dmesg was full of cpu throttling-messages. It might be a red herring, but I don't really think so.
It's only gcc that crash - the machine works fine afterwards...

#6 2017-12-18 15:11:18

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I find gcc to be a pretty good stability testing program/it is pretty sensitive to errors.

Last edited by graysky (2017-12-18 15:16:51)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#7 2017-12-18 16:13:51

Asriel

This is thin light cheap laptop - of course it has pretty small cooler system and it is not in any way designed for heavy loads. Take the look at the article https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10395-d … -iris-540/

It is about Dell XPS but the idea will work on any laptop with metal body - just repaste and make thermal contact between CPU cooler and bottom metal plate so the laptop bottom will become a part of cooler system. The drawback of this modification - on heavy loads it is better not to keep laptop on your lap but better put it on the table.

#8 2017-12-18 19:28:18

solskogen

Asriel wrote:

This is thin light cheap laptop - of course it has pretty small cooler system and it is not in any way designed for heavy loads. Take the look at the article https://www.ultrabookreview.com/10395-d … -iris-540/

It is about Dell XPS but the idea will work on any laptop with metal body - just repaste and make thermal contact between CPU cooler and bottom metal plate so the laptop bottom will become a part of cooler system. The drawback of this modification - on heavy loads it is better not to keep laptop on your lap but better put it on the table.

Good catch! I'll take a shot!

Board footer