You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-23 16:13:12

captainepoch

Dualboot with Windows 10 in another HDD

Hello there!

I'm installing ArchLinux in another HDD along Windows 10. My motherboard has SecureBoot disabled since the first day I bought. I was able to install Antergos with Windows 10 without any problem.

I created the partitions with grub:

[1TB HDD partitions, EFI]
	/sdd1	-	EFI		(ef00, 600MiB)
	/sdd2	-	root	(8300, 430GiB)
	/sdd3	-	home	(8300, 496GiB)
	/sdd4	-	swap	(8200, 4.9GiB)

mkfs.vfat /dev/sdd1
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd2
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdd3
mkswap /dev/sdd4
swapon /dev/sdd4
mount /dev/sdd2 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/home
mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sdd3 /mnt/home
pacstrap /mnt base
genfstab -pU /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
arch-chroot /mnt

Now, I cannot. I did the same as https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#UEFI_systems. The problem is when I try to install grub:

pacman -S grub intel-ucode os-prober dosfstools efibootmgr efitools refind-efi
grub-install --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB2 --boot-directory=/boot --target=x86_64-efi /dev/sdd
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I appreciate the help.

Last edited by captainepoch (2017-12-23 16:13:34)

#2 2017-12-23 18:50:00

lo1

Re: Dualboot with Windows 10 in another HDD

grub-install --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB2 --boot-directory=/boot --target=x86_64-efi /dev/sdd

Why are you trying to install GRUB to /dev/sdd? On EFI systems the bootloader must be installed in the ESP (read: the EFI partition), in your case /dev/sdd1.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … allation_2
I don't know where do you read that command, but the right one (as the wiki states) is

# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp_mount --bootloader-id=grub

where esp_mount is your EFI partition, [EDIT] better: the mount point of your EFI partition.

Installing a bootloader on a disk without specifing the partition is the case of a BIOS/MBR installation, which is not yours.

Last edited by lo1 (2017-12-23 18:56:08)

#3 2017-12-23 19:36:25

captainepoch

lo1 wrote:

Why are you trying to install GRUB to /dev/sdd? On EFI systems the bootloader must be installed in the ESP (read: the EFI partition), in your case /dev/sdd1.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … allation_2
I don't know where do you read that command, but the right one (as the wiki states) is

# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=esp_mount --bootloader-id=grub

where esp_mount is your EFI partition, [EDIT] better: the mount point of your EFI partition.

Installing a bootloader on a disk without specifing the partition is the case of a BIOS/MBR installation, which is not yours.

So, if I did:

And then the chroot, my esp will be /boot?

#4 2017-12-23 19:51:17

lo1

captainepoch wrote:

So, if I did:

And then the chroot, my esp will be /boot?

Indeed.

However, the first steps for setting up Arch (actually, most of the things you'll need for a basic installation) are well documented in the wiki, start from the installation page and thoroughly go to post installation, be sure you don't miss them and welcome to the forums wink

Board footer