You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-21 09:50:24

sakishrist
Member
Registered: 2012-03-04
Posts: 42

[SOLVED] Conky to draw over cinnamon panel

Hello,

I want to create a custom "applet" so to say, that will stay at some place on top of my cinnamon bottom panel.

The problem is that I cannot find a setting to make conky do just that. I can set it to "always on top" but still the panels are on top of everything else.

I have tried normal window, dock, panel, I have tried the various hints, but with no success.

The applet I want is a graph, so any ideas (apart from conky) on how to easily get an applet that can take input from a script and draw a graph in the panel is totally welcome as well.

Thanks!
Sakis

Last edited by sakishrist (2017-12-28 07:17:42)

Offline

#2 2017-12-22 14:53:44

easysid
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-01-01
Posts: 256

Re: [SOLVED] Conky to draw over cinnamon panel

post your conky.conf here.

what about

own_window_type='override'

Offline

#3 2017-12-22 18:30:46

nycko
Member
Registered: 2011-08-07
Posts: 15

Re: [SOLVED] Conky to draw over cinnamon panel

What about different approach? Make the panel transparent to see what's behind?

Install 'transparent panels' extension from cinnamon settings.

Offline

#4 2017-12-22 23:25:20

Annoyingduck
Member
Registered: 2016-08-02
Posts: 179

Re: [SOLVED] Conky to draw over cinnamon panel

I don't like the transparent panel extension, it's wonky and doesn't work to well. To make a cinnamon panel transparent, the best way is to modify the theme directly by editing the cinnamon.css file of the theme your using.  First, make a copy of the theme and rename it to something different (usually in /home/username/.themes section of your home folder).  Here I'll be using Discreet Flat, so I renamed my theme to Discreet Flat Trans-Panel. Now take the new theme copy and edit the Panel or Background or Panel/Background Color section this way:

Add this to Panel/Background Color in the cinnamon.css file of the theme: 
background-color:  rgba(175,175,175,0.00);

Example Before:
#panel {
  color: #fff;
  background-color: #222;
  font-size: 8.5pt;
  font-weight: bold;
  height: 25px;
  width: 32px;
}

Example After:
#panel {
  color: #fff;
  background-color: rgba(175,175,175,0.00);
  font-size: 8.5pt;
  font-weight: bold;
  height: 25px;
  width: 32px;
}

Now try that and see if your Conky works the way that you want it too.  FYI, this works with any Cinnamon theme, I do it with every theme I install.

Offline

#5 2017-12-28 07:17:18

sakishrist
Member
Registered: 2012-03-04
Posts: 42

Re: [SOLVED] Conky to draw over cinnamon panel

Hi,

Easysid's approach does the trick:

own_window_type='override'

Thanks a lot!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB