You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-29 16:42:47

^rooker

Make "gkrellmd" have its separate package?

Hi everyone smile
I'm very very very new with Archlinux, and I've just installed my very first setup, and I'm coming from Debian based distros.

I'm using "gkrellm" to monitor all my headless servers.
Now I saw that Arch only has 1 package that contains both: client + server.

Would it be possible to separate this, similar to the way Debian does?

• Currently, running just the daemon requires >100 MB of installed packages sad

• Whereas just the daemon would require less than 1 MB big_smile

I know gkrellm is ancient, but it's still being updated (and obviously used tongue).
I've seen that someone already has proposed a "gkrellmd" package (in 2004), but his reason was a different one.

Thank you very much in advance.

#2 2017-12-29 18:03:57

progandy

Re: Make "gkrellmd" have its separate package?

I don't think that the package will be split. Arch Linux is targeted at desktops and not servers. You could try to install it with "--assume-installed gtk2" or build your own package, though,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2017-12-29 18:05:47

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

You could submit a bug/feature request to make gkrellm a split package. It will most probably help things along if you change the PKGBUILD, test it works properly and add that to the bug/feature request.

Edit:
@progandy
There are many examples of split packages, a few examples: mkvtoolnix, wireshark, transmission, avidemux and the list goes on and on, some of these are targeted towards the desktop so asking doesn't hurt.

Last edited by R00KIE (2017-12-29 18:10:00)

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2017-12-29 21:04:42

^rooker

Thank you both for your reply!

@propagandy:
I didn't know that Arch is targeted for desktops and not servers.

When I read up on Arch I assumed it was intended as "a lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep It Simple", and "comes as a minimal (but solid) base system, that can be easily turned into a server" wink
So I guess you understand my surprise/confusion.

I do understand however, that the current focus is on desktop-use.
So, for the time being I'll live with using the gkrellm package as-is.
If I have the time I'll follow your advice in trying to split it myself and propose a bug/feature request big_smile

Thanks again.

#5 2017-12-29 21:10:55

Scimmia
Fellow

Arch can be used on servers and plenty of people do. The fact that things get updated constantly, often with little testing, can cause some issues, though.

#6 2017-12-29 21:42:50

progandy

^rooker wrote:

When I read up on Arch I assumed it was intended as "a lightweight and flexible Linux distribution that tries to Keep It Simple", and "comes as a minimal (but solid) base system, that can be easily turned into a server" wink
So I guess you understand my surprise/confusion.

You are not exactly wrong. Arch can be easily used as a server. The about page says "[...]  ideal distro for servers and workstations.". I'm not sure where I got that "targeted for desktops" from, that somehow was stuck in my head. I guess I got that from somewhere in the forums, I must have lost some of the context.

As Scimmia said, rolling releases can cause issues. For example some php applications still require php5.6, but arch only provides the most recent php7 in the repositories. There might also be more subtle issues, though.

R00KIE wrote:

There are many examples of split packages, a few examples: mkvtoolnix, wireshark, transmission, avidemux and the list goes on and on, some of these are targeted towards the desktop so asking doesn't hurt.

As I understand, these packages have cli interfaces, while gkrellmd requires the gtk gui to view the data. It seems pretty useless without the gtk2 app on the host or via ssh. Asking can never hurt anything, though. (Except you are too persistent after your proposal was rejected)

Last edited by progandy (2017-12-29 21:44:57)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2017-12-29 23:31:03

^rooker

... gkrellmd requires the gtk gui to view the data. It seems pretty useless without the gtk2 app on the host or via ssh.

Not sure if I understand you correctly, but the intention of splitting gkrellm ain't cli/gui, but server(=gkrellmd) and client(=gkrellm).

Here's an example (how I use it for years):

• gkrellmd running on several different headless servers (no X installed, no gtk libs needed, etc)

• several gkrellm monitors running on one monitoring desktop client (with X installed, etc...)

Sorry for the confusion smile
Thanks again!

Board footer