You are not logged in.

#6201 2017-12-20 00:35:36

faceyneck

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

tydynrain wrote:

Greetings everyone.

.....In any case, I've become a bit of a passionate Arch fanatic. It is by far the most  amazing version of Linux, or any OS, that I've ever used. The Official Arch Repositories, the Unofficial Arch Repositories, AUR, ABS, the Wiki, the Forums, IRC, the whole bloody community, is truly above and beyond excellent. Thank you all, deeply. :-D

Tydyn.

I could relate to just about everything you said in regards to your Arch experience. I too started with Arch Anywhere, but didn't feel like I was intimately familiar with the important bits of the system that way. In particular; how it differs from Debian/Ubuntu.

I had a really rocky road in the beginning. I can't even remember how many stupid mistakes I made in setting things up. Now I've finally ran out of things to break, haha.

#6202 2017-12-20 18:05:41

applebaps
Website

I think it took me about 3 clean installs to stop messing really basic things up, lol.  We all have to start somewhere!

#6203 2017-12-22 13:07:20

souvikhaldar

Hello! I'm new to Arch but loving it. Would love to explore it further!

#6204 2017-12-23 23:34:05

faceyneck

souvikhaldar wrote:

Hello! I'm new to Arch but loving it. Would love to explore it further!

Welcome to the forum! (...which is sorta BBS)

If you're anything like me, you find Arch just works great all-around, and what help you need has already been asked and answered.

It's pretty great for the user, although it makes finding a reason to post anything here rather challenging.

I wish you well in your Arch adventures. ;-)

-Facey

#6205 2017-12-24 05:03:18

JL88HN

Hello people! I'm Jose Luis from Honduras, I started  reading about linux and all the different distros, then I decided to try Ubuntu, it was fine but then, I read about the rolling-release and KISS philosophy from Arch Linux, so now here I am, I consider myself a noob but, I like the way I must learn something new everytime I want to have more control over the system, and I really enjoy it. I use Arch Linux and XFCE, thanks! smile

#6206 2017-12-30 14:19:00

dipfasemu

I'm Jonathan and I'm from London.
I've been on Debian for a few months and am thinking of graduating to Arch soon. I'm here to learn a bit more before I make the move.

Last edited by dipfasemu (2017-12-30 14:21:25)

#6207 2017-12-30 22:33:36

DisarmedToaster

Hello Archers. Former long time Arch user. Back home. Glad to be back. smile

#6208 2017-12-30 22:34:12

linuks

Hello to all Arch community!

I eventually made the step to try out Arch and see how it goes with it. I already have a question, which I will post in a separate topic.

regards

Linuks

#6209 2017-12-31 02:37:57

GameCodingNinja2

I've used a lot of distros over the years, Red Hat, CentOS, Suse Studio, Ubuntu, Debian, Knopix, Linux Mint. Spent the last 5 years using my own Linux builds by automating the information from "Linux from Scratch". It was a lot of work but I enjoyed being on the cutting edge of the newest software. Google forced me out of this by no longer supporting 32-bit for Android development. Even though I could easily generate a pure 64-bit version of Linux, their tools still had some 32-bit libraries in the mix and for me to accommodate that is too much work.

I've known about Arch Linux for years but never tried it before. The Arch Linux Wiki pages always come up in google searches when doing research and have always proved helpful. So during this Christmas break of 2017, I decided to give Arch Linux a try. After I booted my machine for the first time running Arch Linux and checked the version of GCC, I almost fell off my chair. To think, being on the cutting edge of software could be this simple and easy to do. Also having the wiki and package database at my fingertips to fill in the gaps of what I need to know is invaluable.

It's been a long journey but I think I'm finally home.

#6210 2018-01-01 03:56:08

wickedlester

Hello again! I have been using Arch since 2004 and still love it. I don't post much smile Any trouble I have I usually always find answers here on the forums. I still use other distro's also, along with Arch, but none of them feel as comfortable as Arch or as easy to configure and customize. I have watched Arch and these forums go through a lot of changes over the years. Happy New Year!

#6211 2018-01-02 16:58:23

Smit

Hi everyone !! I am New user who just came from Linux Mint

#6212 2018-01-02 19:30:28

applebaps
Website

Smit wrote:

Hi everyone !! I am New user who just came from Linux Mint

Welcome!

(and to all those I'm not quoting too, haha, welcome all!)

#6213 2018-01-04 20:13:38

the_krock

Hi everyone, I'm the_krock.

I've been using Arch for several years on my main desktop PC (and secondary ones too). I started with Gentoo in my younger days and liked it a lot but at some point I just found out that I didn't care about compiling every single package. I read somewhere that Arch was a compilation-free Gentoo equivalent and I gave it a try, and haven't felt the need to look elsewhere since that time. Though I don't consider myself an expert, far from it.

I just completed a fresh installation on my new drive and I thought it was time for me to join the community, and maybe help if I get the chance.

Last edited by the_krock (2018-01-04 20:14:02)

#6214 2018-01-06 18:45:34

intimothy

Hello everyone,

my name is intimothy and I'm relatively new to Linux as I have been using it for almost half a year now only.
I started off with Debian9 and Centos7 but now I want to build my own distros after exploring and understanding the core and its twigs.
So I decided to switch to Arch Linux first and maybe move on to Slackware, Gentoo and LFS afterwards. Let's just see what happens.

I am still an apprentice in my 2nd year out of 3.
I don't think I am going to start studying afterwards because it would take too long and all they teach me there only covers about 5 percent maximum of what I am interested in.
Self-study is more efficient than studying and way more fun!

It is good to be here. I am really excited, already watched some videos about Arch and I am impressed by the huge Arch wiki and community.

See you around,

Intimothy

#6215 2018-01-09 08:26:28

maskiepop

Hi.

maskiepop here. new to archlinux. hope I can be of help.

Cheers,

m

#6216 2018-01-09 17:10:15

RedsAnDev
Website

Hi to all arch's master!
So, this is my first post and I'm writing after first 48hours in Arch.

I'm come back from Ubuntu → Fedora → OsX →Fedora →Ubuntu → Dell Ubuntu → and now in Arch.

I have never seen an OS like that: so quickly and very light, and perferctly fit for my needs:

- docker
- vb
- intellijidea IDE (php,web,datagrip, and so on)
- android studio (with some trouble but I'm working on!)
- grive
- conky
- zsh, of course!
- matlab 2017b
- eclipse c and java IDE version
- mendeleydesktop 1.16.3 (very stable)
and more!!!

So, I hope to grow up and share with all of you tips and fix for this amazing OS.

RedsAnDev@twitter
STB1019 · IEEE Student Branch Brescia

#6217 2018-01-09 17:43:51

levisraju

Hi guys,

I am Levis from India. I was dual booting win10 and xubuntu on my core2duo machine. But I came to know about arch linux and one of my friends was using it. He said that its for pros sad
I didn't read anything about arch except the install instructions and referred to a video and jump right into the arch same day. But I got some booting issues and windows 10 stopped booting and lots of issues. But I started loving every bit of arch when I was solving all of the issues myself with the help of Arch wiki and this newbie corner.

I really like the idea of install only what you want and I made my system.

I have completely removed windows from my machine and the only thing I feel missing in Adobe After Effects or simply Adobe CC. But I learned GiMP, Kdenlive and I need to learn Blender. I've made my mind and no going back to windows.

Now I am running my arch with a minimal installation of lxqt desktop with i3 as window manager instead of openbox and lxqt-runner instead of dmenu. Quite loving the looks and interface. I was previously using an i3 only environment which caused some difficulties for my Pappa to use the system. So I've tried lxqt.

On using upto almost two months, I've faced an issue with my TV tuner card which I could not find a solution. Otherwise, all drivers worked fine.

Loving Arch smile

Last edited by levisraju (2018-01-09 17:44:41)

#6218 2018-01-09 18:17:39

applebaps
Website

levisraju wrote:

I really like the idea of install only what you want and I made my system.

I have completely removed windows from my machine and the only thing I feel missing in Adobe After Effects or simply Adobe CC. But I learned GiMP, Kdenlive and I need to learn Blender. I've made my mind and no going back to windows.

This was what started me off, too.  Welcome!

#6219 2018-01-12 16:09:51

Password123456789

hi

#6220 2018-01-19 13:02:58

novise

Hi everyone!
I am not entirely new to the community as I have been lurching for a while.
But now I feel that it is time for an introduction.

I started using Arch as my only OS a couple of months back, not everything worked as I was expecting but as a long time Windows user I was not surprised, and able to overcome most of it thanks to this awesome community!
I dont regret making the switch but are currently back on windows because I had to get a new computer due to hardware failure.

My hope is that the community and my efforts can get me back on arch on my new laptop as well but it is proving more of a challenge than I was hoping.
Well, that problem is for another thread.

About me,
I am a Software Engineer in the works (in uni) and are hoping to be able to soon contribute back to the community.
But as a long time user of windows I have some "noob" parts to get past first.

Either way, hello!

#6221 2018-01-22 15:25:08

wayneward
Website

hello im wayne from spain! im just setting up arch on a virtualbox which is going well once thats running with gnome and other goodies ill roll it out on my laptop and main computers
im currently running antergos on them to give me a insight but im loving building my boxes from scratch

#6222 2018-01-24 18:10:39

jemmy

Hi Internet Friends!  Jemmy, here.  My first tango with Linux was download Slackware 3.4 package by package via dial-up, which was a feat in itself even without my mom picking up the phone to disconnect my downloads.  I fiddled around with Linux until 2001 when I graduated High School and went into full-blown party mode.  I switched to Windows as my primary OS, mainly because I wanted to play games and I was drunk most of the time.  Linux still didn't have the functionality and software compatibility that I needed yet.

Linux stayed on the back burner until Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) was released.  This was around the time I started a computer tech support service, so I wanted something easy and stable.  I used Ubuntu until the release that defaulted to Unity as a DE, then I looked around a little and settled in with Linux Mint.  LM became my primary OS over Windows around this time.  I wasn't interested in gaming much (I know, I know. Not that you can't game on Linux.  It just wasn't a concern anymore) and I had developed a severe hatred towards anything Microsoft.  Linux for home, Windows for work.

Starting a business can really put a damper on an autodidactic education.  I had turned my hobby into a job.  I was no longer working with computers to learn and have fun, but to make money.   Last year, I went through some major life changes.  I am still keeping a number of clients, but I have a lot more time on my hands to explore Linux again.

First, I tried OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.  My first experience with btrfs and snapper.  Very cool!

Next, I decided to try Arch.  I was a little intimidated because of what some people were saying about the install process.   I think the difficulty is a bit overstated.  I'm now running a whole disk LVM on LUKS (except for a couple /boot partitions) containing OpenSUSE and Arch, both using btfs on / and ext4 on /home.  I copied OpenSUSE's subvolume scheme and applied it to Arch.  It works beautifully!  It took me a couple of runs to get the LVM on LUKS on btrfs/snapper with the subvolumes just right, but I didn't think it was that bad! Arch will be my daily driver now.

I ordered a 256GB msata ssd for this lappy so I can expand my volume group and install a few more distros.  I think I will try Gentoo or Funtoo next, then probably install Slackware just for nostalgia's sake.  I won't download it package-by-package via dialup this time though.

I'm glad that my ratrace changed its pace and I was able to step outside of my comfort zone. No offense to Debian-based distros, they still have an important place. But I'm now finding out that pretty much anything else is more fun.  Anyway, I'm happy to be a part of the Arch community!

Last edited by jemmy (2018-01-24 18:16:32)

Haikus are easy,
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator.

#6223 2018-01-25 15:58:57

arch-shaggy

Hey everyone, a different Shaggy here! Apparently Shaggy was already taken so I had to go with this one hmm
That's ok though! Still find it's cool to hang around, say hi & what not! Hopefully I can be some help & you guys would love to help me out as well!
This is a two way Internet tunnel after all!

Continuing, I would say I'm still a newbie in some ways, still trying to learn the ropes of some of these OSes. Honestly feel as though I'm skillful enough to play with Arch but I could be wrong.
In my history, I skipped Ubuntu & went straight to Debian which I am very happy I did to this day, dislike Ubuntu for many different reasons. But what drew me to Arch is all the modification that could happen.
I'll try sticking here for a while, hopefully I'll see you guys around!!!

In Kind Regards,
Shaggy!

#6224 2018-01-25 20:33:41

jreinhed

Hey everyone! Johan here, 20 years old from Sweden. My Linux history begins in 2008, when I saw a video showcasing Compiz Fusion. Being 11, I immediately wanted that on my computer, so I got myself a pack of CD-R's and put Ubuntu 8.10 on my computer. I used this happily for 6 months, wobbling my windows and painting with fire, putting an immense strain on my rather crappy GPU.
But when I updated to 9.04, this completely (beyond repair *for a kid*) borked the installation, so I just went back to Windows instead.

Then, in the autumn of 2016, I attended university, where we used Linux for our programming classes. This made me want to go back to it so I put Xubuntu 16.10 on my laptop. Used that for 6 months before 17.04 came out. Being wary of distro upgrades like that, I decided to look into other distros. Fell for Arch with its rolling release model, and of course the AUR. Still a bit of a greenhorn but eager to learn!

I don't post much because I'm shy (which is also why I'm introducing myself only now) but I hope to see you around!

Cheers.

#6225 2018-01-25 20:40:28

lo1

I don't post much because I'm shy

That's why the internet (and alcohol) was made.

Just kidding, don't drink and use the forums wink

Board footer