You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-31 13:08:52

deisi
Member
Registered: 2015-10-21
Posts: 66

[Solved] Cant run kodi --standalone

When I try to run kodi with:

kodi --standalone

I get:

ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting 

What I did:

Disabled gnome with

sudo systemctl stop gdm 

Restarted pc
Logged in
tried to start kodi as mentioned at the top.

Any suggestions what to try?
The wiki mentions: kodi-standalone that there might be an Issue with starting xorg without root, but the link is broken. I also tried everything as root and have the same issues. Using the systemd service kodi-standalone.service results in the same as well.

Here is the stacktrace of the coredump:
https://pastebin.com/bJ7RknfP

I think the most relevant section is:

14:00:58.640 T:140019259611200   ERROR: X11 Error: No Display found

But since I can run gnome, I assume X11 and everything is installed correctly.

Last edited by deisi (2018-01-01 20:45:24)

Offline

#2 2017-12-31 13:20:53

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,056

Re: [Solved] Cant run kodi --standalone

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Rootless_Xorg
But if that's been a specific problem with Xorg v1.16 this is irrelevant anyway.

Gnome defaults to wayland, so does gdm. => So first ensure you can start X11 at all.

Instead of the "standalone" service, you could also just autologin and/or startx to kodi or choose kodi as session from your login manager.

Offline

#3 2017-12-31 14:29:11

deisi
Member
Registered: 2015-10-21
Posts: 66

Re: [Solved] Cant run kodi --standalone

Thanks for the Help.

I made sure Xorg works by checking

 startx 

and indeed it was not working in the beginning. However now it does and I can still not start kodi --standalone. It still get the same errors.

Offline

#4 2017-12-31 15:07:21

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,056

Re: [Solved] Cant run kodi --standalone

Are you aware that the kodi-standalone service is not run by "kodi --standalone"?
The service explicitly starts an X11 server.

Offline

#5 2018-01-01 20:44:52

deisi
Member
Registered: 2015-10-21
Posts: 66

Re: [Solved] Cant run kodi --standalone

Ah okay, now I know, and now it works. I somehow had changed the home folder of the kodi user to something useless at some point in time. Now it works. Thanks a lot for the help.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB