You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-05 16:43:08

Archli
Member
Registered: 2016-12-20
Posts: 5

Xorg/KDE high CPU utilization/unresponsive after turning off monitor

After a recent update, my desktop started having an odd problem. If I turn off the monitor and turn it back on, Xorg shows a very high CPU utilization (about 60% of one core) and also "kdeglobalaccel5" uses about 40% of one core. Every minute or so, the system becomes unresponsive, i.e., the mouse pointer moves but everything else on my desktop is frozen and doesn't respond to mouse clicks. After a short time, it becomes responsive again for short time and the cycle repeats.

Unfortunately, just leaving the monitor on is not a solution, as I use a KVM switch to switch machines and it also happens after using the switch.

Has anyone else seen this? I would really like to resolve this issue as it is super annoying having to restart Xorg every time after using the KVM switch sad


Relevant versions of packages I'm using:
extra/xorg-server 1.19.6-2
extra/plasma-meta 5.11-1
extra/nvidia 387.34-17

Offline

#2 2018-01-05 19:50:35

heisenberg
Member
Registered: 2017-05-27
Posts: 87

Re: Xorg/KDE high CPU utilization/unresponsive after turning off monitor

Check if it happens also with open source drivers.

Offline

#3 2018-01-05 20:52:05

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,056

Re: Xorg/KDE high CPU utilization/unresponsive after turning off monitor

This likely isn't relaetd to the graphics, kglobalaccel handles the global shortcuts, so it will also likely not be the monitor, but the keyboard part of the KVM switch (is it maybe attached to a hub on the monitor?)

Please try to confirm this by keeping the keyboard aside the KVM (and switch), then elaborate on the keyboard configuration in case.

Offline

#4 2018-01-05 21:23:26

Archli
Member
Registered: 2016-12-20
Posts: 5

Re: Xorg/KDE high CPU utilization/unresponsive after turning off monitor

seth wrote:

This likely isn't relaetd to the graphics, kglobalaccel handles the global shortcuts, so it will also likely not be the monitor, but the keyboard part of the KVM switch (is it maybe attached to a hub on the monitor?)

Please try to confirm this by keeping the keyboard aside the KVM (and switch), then elaborate on the keyboard configuration in case.

Yes, you are right! It does seem to be keyboard/mouse related. I use a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo with the USB receiver connected to the monitor USB, which gets switched with the KVM. So when I turn off the monitor or switch PCs using the KVM, the keyboard/mouse gets disconnected and reconnected. I just did another test with the receiver connected to a "normal" USB port, and the same problem happens when I disconnect/reconnect the receiver.

The keyboard configuration is quite standard with layouts enabled in KDE (US and international layout) and also some custom shortcuts in KDE. Do you think resetting the shortcuts in KDE could help? If so, what is the easiest way to reset them to default?

Offline

#5 2018-01-05 21:54:09

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,056

Re: Xorg/KDE high CPU utilization/unresponsive after turning off monitor

setxkbmap -print -query

Also please cause the problem and paste (in code tags) the xorg log from that session (or if you have an old one covering the incident around, that should be fine as well)

Does the system go wild when removing or when adding the keyboard AND: is a dumb, wired keyboard affected as well?
I don't think changing the actual shortcuts has impact, but you might have to switch the input driver (evdev instead of libinput) - at least for a test.
What desktop manager (SDDM, GDM, ...) do you use?

Offline

#6 2018-01-05 22:32:26

Archli
Member
Registered: 2016-12-20
Posts: 5

Re: Xorg/KDE high CPU utilization/unresponsive after turning off monitor

I just remembered that I had installed `xorg-xmodmap` a while ago, but I'm not actually using it. After removing the package, the problem no longer occurs.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB