You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-06 06:56:25

exad
Member
Registered: 2016-11-15
Posts: 33

plymouth working arch [SOLVED]

Intro:

Tonight I decided I would not go to sleep until I managed to get plymouth working on my Arch laptop since a splash screen adds a special touch to the bootup process. While doing so, I noticed the wiki didn't provide all the info I needed to get it all working so I am creating this post in the hopes that it will help others set up what took me quite a bit of googling and reading to figure out.

Things to note when trying to get plymouth to work after install that didn't seem to be covered in the wiki.

1. Don't forget to edit:

/etc/plymouth/plymouthd.conf

so that

ShowDelay=0

2. Kernel boot parameters that made everything smooth:

 quiet loglevel=3 rd.systemd.show_status=false vt.global_cursor_default=0 splash 

Quiet and splash are covered in the wiki but those other ones don't seem to be unless you move into the silent boot wiki which isn't linked from the plymouth wiki page. Also note, obviously, that rd.systemd.show_status is only used if you use the systemd hook in your initramfs.

After those 2 extra steps aside from what's covered in the plymouth arch wiki, the boot animation is really smooth.

Hopefully people trying to get plymouth working smoothly stumble upon this and save themselves some time.

Last edited by exad (2018-01-06 06:57:55)

Offline

#2 2018-01-06 09:34:43

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,399

Re: plymouth working arch [SOLVED]

If you feel the wiki needs to be amended, amend the wiki, don't create presolved forum posts that will get lost quickly.

Offline

#3 2018-01-06 12:56:18

exad
Member
Registered: 2016-11-15
Posts: 33

Re: plymouth working arch [SOLVED]

V1del wrote:

If you feel the wiki needs to be amended, amend the wiki, don't create presolved forum posts that will get lost quickly.

Ah right, didn't think of that. super late and such.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB