You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-06 12:27:30

catnap

[SOLVED] Bootloader fails to load Linux kernel on startup

I recenly installed Arch Linux system on my Lenovo Thinkpad laptop computer. I installed a dual boot to preserve a Windows 10 operating sysytem that came with the computer. Because an operating system existed on the computer already, I did not create any new EFI partition but simply reduced the Windows partition by about 160 Gb to make room for a Linux root partition. The Linux root was the only new partition that I created.

After partitioning the disk, I continued to follow the Arch Linux installation guide, so I installed the Linux sysyem on the new root partition and the systemd-boot bootloader to the preexisting EFI partition. A bootloader entry for Arch Linux was not created automatically, so I created an entry using /usr/share/systemd/bootctl/arch.conf as an example. I set the PARTUUID entry by using the command blkid -s PARTUUID -o value /dev/sdxY. There was another entry in the template file marked with "XXXXX" but I simply deleted it because I did not find any help in the manual on setting the proper value. I hope that this last point is not critical.

When I, after these settings, attemped to log into the Arch Linux sysyem by rebooting the computer, the Arch Linux bootloader entry was available but choosing it from the list resulted in the following errror message

Error loading \vmlinuz-linux: Not found
Failed to execute Arch Linux (\vmlinuz-linux): Not found

It seems that the bootloader fails to find the Linux kernel. I hope the kernel is properly installed, but at this point I'm not quite sure about that. It could also be that the bootloader configurations are incorrect.

Last edited by catnap (2018-01-07 01:30:08)

#2 2018-01-06 12:31:21

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Bootloader fails to load Linux kernel on startup

When installing did you remember to mount the existing EFI partition at /mnt/boot before running the pacstrap command?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2018-01-06 12:34:40

catnap

I think that I ran the pacstrap command before mounting the boot partition. That might really be the issue. Should I run the pacstrap command again with the boot partition mounted or is there a way to install the kernel without repeating the other parts of the installation?

Last edited by catnap (2018-01-06 12:40:33)

#4 2018-01-07 01:29:38

catnap

slithery wrote:

When installing did you remember to mount the existing EFI partition at /mnt/boot before running the pacstrap command?

Mounting both the root partition and the boot partition before running the pacstrap command solved the problem.

Board footer