You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-10 15:26:43

olive
Member
From: Belgium
Registered: 2008-06-22
Posts: 1,490

Failed to deactivate SWAP

I use a swap file. I notice that quite often (but not always) when I shut down the machine, there is a brief "Failed to deactivate swap" that appears on the console. No further errors are reported. I never had this problem with a swap partition. Unfortunately, repartitioning is not really an option (I use BIOS/MBR and the 4 partitions are in use; touching the Windows partition is dangerous: quite often it leads to an unfixable unbootable Windows). My partition table is:

/dev/sda1: Main Linux partition.
/dev/sda2: Microsoft system reserved
/dev/sda3: Main Microsoft
/dev/sda4: Boot partition.

Offline

#2 2018-01-10 20:23:41

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,068

Re: Failed to deactivate SWAP

Post your /etc/fstab (or explain how the swap file is invoked otherwise)

Offline

#3 2018-01-11 09:31:38

olive
Member
From: Belgium
Registered: 2008-06-22
Posts: 1,490

Re: Failed to deactivate SWAP

The swap file is activated standardly in /etc/fstab. Note that the swap works as expected, it is just when I shut down the machine that I get sometimes but not always this error message. I suspect a race condition between the moment the main partition (containing the swap file) and the moment the swap is deactivated.
My complete /etc/fstab:

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
#OEE#

# Linux related partitions
LABEL=ARCHBOOT  /boot           ext2            rw,relatime                     0 2
LABEL=ARCHELIT	/         	ext4      	rw,relatime,data=ordered	0 1
/swap           none            swap            defaults                        0 0

# Windows related partitions
UUID=5836D17336D1529C /mnt/windows ntfs-3g noauto,inherit,windows_names,noatime 0 0
UUID=8E82CF2082CF0BA1 /mnt/system_reserved ntfs-3g noauto,ro 0 0                            0 0

# Various predefined mount points
192.168.1.100:/ /mnt/pc-fixe nfs noauto 0 0
LABEL=CLEF_BACKUP /mnt/clef_backup ext4 noauto,noatime 0 0
LABEL=DD_BACKUP /mnt/dd_backup ext4 noauto,noatime 0 0

Offline

#4 2018-01-11 09:44:34

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,068

Re: Failed to deactivate SWAP

Yup. Also /boot should be after /
Just try

# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
#OEE#

# Linux related partitions
LABEL=ARCHELIT	/         	ext4      	rw,relatime,data=ordered	0 1
LABEL=ARCHBOOT  /boot           ext2            rw,relatime                     0 2

# Windows related partitions
UUID=5836D17336D1529C /mnt/windows ntfs-3g noauto,inherit,windows_names,noatime 0 0
UUID=8E82CF2082CF0BA1 /mnt/system_reserved ntfs-3g noauto,ro 0 0                            0 0

# Various predefined mount points
192.168.1.100:/ /mnt/pc-fixe nfs noauto 0 0
LABEL=CLEF_BACKUP /mnt/clef_backup ext4 noauto,noatime 0 0
LABEL=DD_BACKUP /mnt/dd_backup ext4 noauto,noatime 0 0

/swap           none            swap            defaults                        0 0

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB