You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-12 05:12:12

lazystring

[SOLVED] Installing drivers for Broadcom Limited BCM4352

So I've just started the Arch Linux installation process. As I understand, I need to have an internet connection before proceeding with the installation.

I began by listing my PCI devices to find my network controller:

# lspci -k
06:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter...
Kernel driver in user: bcma-pci-bridge
Kernel modules: bcma

I've followed part of the wireless network configuration guide up until running

ip link

It seems no wireless interface was created for my device.

I believe I would need to install the broadcom-wl drivers but I'm not sure how I could do so offline. I've heard that I may need to download the drivers and compile them before installing on the live USB. Keep in mind I don't have another computer with Arch Linux. I suppose, worst case, I could install Arch Linux on a VM. Are there any alternatives?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by lazystring (2018-01-13 03:30:51)

#2 2018-01-12 11:47:42

lo1

Re: [SOLVED] Installing drivers for Broadcom Limited BCM4352

I think the broadcom drivers are already in the kernel, try to modprobe one of the two if you think the one you're using doesn't work.
Also check the output of

rfkill list all

to see if the device is soft/hard blocked, unblock it or push the button/switch if it is hard blocked.

Eventually you can install the base packages with a wired connection and then install the drivers you need by chrooting in your newly system (this is what I'd do, but maybe there's a smarter way of doing this directly inside the archiso).

#3 2018-01-12 12:36:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

lo1, 4352 is not covered by either of the kernel drivers, wl is required.

lazystring, you have few options to get started, none of them great - but once you're through the initial install your wireless should work just fine.  For the initial install, if you can temporarily get an ethernet connection, that would be - by far - the best approach.  Do the install over ethernet, reboot into the new system (still using ethernet) and build/install broadcom-wl, or just installl broadcom-wl-dkms from the main repos.  This would be the best option.

Second, would be to set up usb tethering with a android device if available.  Once the tether is set up, proceed as if it was ethernet.

The last, and worst, option would be to download the needed files onto a usb stick from another system, then transfer them in to the live system for use.  The best would be to get broadcom-wl-dkms from one of the repo mirrors along with it's dependencies.  Then install them within the live system (with pacman -U) and you should be good.

More details can be provided on any of these options once you figure out which one may be viable.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2018-01-13 03:30:02

lazystring

Trilby wrote:

lo1, 4352 is not covered by either of the kernel drivers, wl is required.

lazystring, you have few options to get started, none of them great - but once you're through the initial install your wireless should work just fine.  For the initial install, if you can temporarily get an ethernet connection, that would be - by far - the best approach.  Do the install over ethernet, reboot into the new system (still using ethernet) and build/install broadcom-wl, or just installl broadcom-wl-dkms from the main repos.  This would be the best option.

Second, would be to set up usb tethering with a android device if available.  Once the tether is set up, proceed as if it was ethernet.

The last, and worst, option would be to download the needed files onto a usb stick from another system, then transfer them in to the live system for use.  The best would be to get broadcom-wl-dkms from one of the repo mirrors along with it's dependencies.  Then install them within the live system (with pacman -U) and you should be good.

More details can be provided on any of these options once you figure out which one may be viable.

Thanks a ton. I ended up going with the USB tethering method as that was the most convenient for me (don't have a long enough ethernet cable). Now I have internet big_smile

For those who may run into the same situation, just follow the Android tethering guide to set up tethering.

#5 2018-01-13 12:33:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Glad it worked - and, by the way, welcome to the forums.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer