You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-30 12:05:57

QuartzDragon

How to add disable ipv6 on custom ArchISO?

On my old laptop, having the ipv6 subsystem enabled persistently causes DNS resolutions to take a minimum of 15 seconds, regardless of whether I'm using ipv6 or not. It's puzzling and frustrating me to no end...

Trying to disable ipv6 through sysctl doesn't seem to be enough. I've noticed I can only truly stop it through the "ipv6.disable=1" kernel switch...

How can I add kernel commandline arguments for my custom ArchISO? Nothing I've tried seems to work... the Arch Wiki hasn't helped me, either. It's a real pain...

#2 2018-01-31 21:55:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: How to add disable ipv6 on custom ArchISO?

QuartzDragon wrote:

Nothing I've tried seems to work... the Arch Wiki hasn't helped me, either. It's a real pain...

What exactly have you tried?  Which wiki pages are you following?

Is your iso using syslinux/isolinux?  If so, you just add the kernel parameters to the APPEND line of the config file.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-02-10 22:26:28

cameo

@OP: Actually I don't know what you exactly mean with "custom ArchISO on your old laptop".

Anyway, you could verify with the wiki first, if your IPv6 is completely disabled. Then install "dhclient" from extra and try entering $ sudo dhclient -4 enp1s0 (or whatever your device is). If this works, do that after every startup. Or maybe you can enable a service with that.

#4 2018-02-12 22:58:32

rdeckard
Wiki Maintainer

QuartzDragon wrote:

On my old laptop, having the ipv6 subsystem enabled persistently causes DNS resolutions to take a minimum of 15 seconds, regardless of whether I'm using ipv6 or not. It's puzzling and frustrating me to no end...

So you're trying to disable ipv6 b/c that somehow will help your DNS resolutions, even though you've just told us it doesn't help?

Board footer