You are not logged in.

#51 2018-01-28 17:31:10

tpzker
Website

Re: C/C++ - How do you develop?

I use Visual Studio Code or Nano to edit code, along with CMake for Makefile generation or Meson. I use tmux sometimes if I'm only using the command line and not Gnome.

Last edited by tpzker (2018-01-28 17:34:10)

I'm a professional amateur professional, small-time kernel hacker, and programmer.
i use arch btw (of course i do i'm on this forum)
"That is not dead that can eternal lie, and with strange aeons, even death may die"
probably fighting the borrow checker

#52 2018-02-03 06:22:52

brainfucksec
Website

--= [ |<!55 ]=--

#53 2018-05-25 10:58:13

Mox

Neovim with my custom config and some plugins:
- vim-airline/vim-airline (probably just aesthetics)
- neomake/neomake (build my code in vim without hogging the interface)
- luochen1990/rainbow (highligths matching parenthesis, brackets and braces in matching colours so it is easier to see which belong together)
- vim-scripts/a.vim (Open the right header for the current source file and vice-versa)
- will133/vim-dirdiff (Open two directories in vim and see which files were changed in which ways)
- mox-mox/vim-starlite (my own: add the word under the cursor to the current search)
- mox-mox/vim-localsearch (my own: have different search terms for every vim-window)
- mox-mox/vim-autohighlight (highlight the word under the cursor WITHOUT searching for it)
- I don't use any code completion plugins. Usually I find them more annoying than just typing the stuff myself.
- When working remote I run a terminal buffer in my vim instance so I can copy-paste between the terminal and the text files.

CMake
- I really hate it
- It has become standard, many projects will need it anyways (there used to be scons but it seems to be dead usage-wise)
- I do not know a better tool (Plain Makefiles are nice but tend be become quite bloated for serious projects, Using autotools just puts you into a deeper circle in hell)

Git
- Nearly all my code is in some or another git repo.
- Very handy when switching machines.
- Also very handy to check what I have actually changed in the last few hours.
- Commit messages force me to think about WHY I changed/added stuff to the code

#54 2018-05-25 12:26:45

bulletmark

Mox wrote:

- I don't use any code completion plugins. Usually I find them more annoying than just typing the stuff myself.

I had never been a fan of completion but about 6 months ago I installed YouCompleteMe (YCM) as a one line addition to my vim plugin manager (I use vim-plug). I have not invested any more time in installing or configuring it other than that one line (well ok, I soon set g:ycm_autoclose_preview_window_after_completion=1). I work mainly in Python, C, C++, JS, and shell scripts and in all those I now get completions presented. I can't see how anyhow would think it annoying. They pop up and I usually think, yes that was what I was about to type so I just press tab to save some typing. Sometimes I may just ignore the popup. It works great, saves some time, shows a small definition preview, and costs me nothing. I haven't tried any others but YCM is worthwhile.

#55 2018-05-25 13:13:58

eschwartz
Fellow

escondida wrote:

Obligatory "ED! ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

"TEXT EDITOR."

https://ptpb.pw/~ed.txt

Something I've recently started pointing out to ed advocates:

Not only is `ed` useless bloat, it is also *not the Unix way* when you could compose separate tools like cat, dd, heredocs and shell redirection.

Or there's always: https://xkcd.com/378/

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-05-25 13:14:43)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#56 2018-06-26 16:33:27

tolsti
Website

Years ago I was using Sun's developer tools on my Solaris maschine.
Today these tools are all owned by Oracle, but still around: https://www.oracle.com/tools/developerstudio/index.html
The page says something about development for oracle systems, but of course one can just develop under linux any program (as I currently do).

#57 2018-06-26 20:13:35

YesItsMe

It's never too late to use Solaris.

#58 2018-06-26 20:16:50

ewaller
Administrator

YesItsMe wrote:

It's never too late to use Solaris.

It was about eight years ago that it became too late sad

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#59 2018-06-26 20:18:13

YesItsMe

I'm perfectly fine with the non-Oracle flavors of Solaris. smile
(illumos is lovely.)

Board footer