You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-29 04:01:33

gtmshrm

Stop reading signal from touchpad

I want to disable my touchpad from accepting input. I tried using xorg-xinput and synaptics. But the problem is, even when the touchpad is disabled and the pointer is not moving, it still accepts input signals. If I place my palm over the touchpad (even in disabled state), I can't type and then when I remove my palm, all the characters in the buffer pop up at once. I even tried palm-detection from synaptics but it solve my problem. I want to type freely even when my palm is over the touchpad. I want to disable the touchpad completely i.e no input signal should be read from touchpad.

#2 2018-01-29 04:17:16

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Stop reading signal from touchpad

Try:  xinput disable "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

That may not be the actual name of your touchpad.  Use xinput to discover the name of your touchpad.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-01-29 04:43:18

gtmshrm

I tried that earlier. The name of my touchpad it shows is "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad". I tried xinput --disable "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad". It disables it but whenver I place my palm over the touchpad, it stops accepting input from my keyboard and when I lift my palm up, all the characters I typed pop up at once. How should I fix this?

#4 2018-01-29 12:27:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Do you ever use the touchpad?  If not, I'd just open up the case and disconnect the touchbad cable.

But for further diagnostics, I'd be curious whether this is just a hardware issue: how does it work in a live iso and/or other OS?

Last edited by Trilby (2018-01-29 12:28:54)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-01-29 17:36:12

Photor

If you use Gnome, there is an extension „Touchpad Indicator“ available which allows to disable the touchpad. You can also define that touchpad is automatically enabled if no mouse is detected (and touchpad is needed).

Ciao
Photor

#6 2018-01-30 05:24:09

gtmshrm

I use i3 wm. I can disable my touchpad using xinput. The reason for disabling touchpad was to typing freely even when my palm is over the touchpad. However, the even after disabling it, when I type, I can see a delay in characters appearing on the screen because during the delay, my palm is over the touchpad.

#7 2018-01-30 19:33:19

gtmshrm

I diagnosed the main issue. Whenever I connect an external keyboard to my laptop, place my hand over the touchpad (with touchpad disabled) and type, there is no latency in the characters being displayed on the screen. But if in the same situation, if I use laptop's keyboard (with my hand on disabled touchpad), I notice that there is a delay in the characters being displayed on the screen. How do I fix this?

#8 2018-01-30 20:07:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Trilby wrote:

But for further diagnostics, I'd be curious whether this is just a hardware issue: how does it work in a live iso and/or other OS?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2018-02-05 20:00:22

gtmshrm

I fixed the issue. This type  of issue is common with acer laptops. It has Elantech touchpad. To disable it completely, without any abnormal behaviour, first I changed BIOS setting of touchpad from "basic" to "advanced" i.e multi gestures support and then I disabled the touchpad using xinput. Now, in disabled mode when I place my palm over it while typing, it doesn't affect my typing. Thanks everyone for your input

Board footer