You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-05 13:30:28

sinqbad

Free alternative to endnote?

Wanting to move to free software but the biggest challenge that I'm facing is what I use for grad school. I write a lot so I use word and endnote a lot. Word is easy to replace (libreoffice) but I can't find any suitable alternative to endnote. Can anyone help me with a solution?

#2 2018-02-05 13:39:22

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Free alternative to endnote?

Mendeley

#3 2018-02-05 13:55:25

progandy

Did you already go through the list on wikipedia? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso … t_software

If you want open source software, JabRef and Zotero should have plugins for libreoffice, but there might be issues if you want to keep references linked to your database while moving between word/libreoffice.
https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/citat … plain_text
https://help.jabref.org/en/OpenOfficeIn … own-issues

Last edited by progandy (2018-02-05 13:55:57)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2018-02-06 00:14:33

sinqbad

Allan wrote:

Mendeley

I think that's propriety, no?

progandy wrote:

Did you already go through the list on wikipedia?

Thanks! I was hoping someone else had experience with this so they could give suggestions. I guess I'll have to try a few.

Jabref looks good but no android app which I do need. I'm maybe thinking zotero+bibtex.

#5 2018-02-06 00:52:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

sinqbad wrote:

I think that's propriety, no?

It is free as in beer.  You didn't specify that you were only looking for open source licensed software.  If that is the case, must it be open source, or libre, or what?

sinqbad wrote:

...but no android app which I do need.

As for that criteria, you really hadn't hinted at it at all.

And you wanted something other than just a list of your options?  If we have any hope of helping you narrow down the possibilities it could only happen if you actually told us what your criteria are.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-02-06 01:48:44

progandy

@Trilby: He expressed a wish to use "free software" which could mean libre, but free has too many meanings to be clear.

sinqbad wrote:

Jabref looks good but no android app which I do need. I'm maybe thinking zotero+bibtex.

jabref is also using a bibtex database, so look for something on android that can support that and try it:
https://f-droid.org/packages#q=bibtex
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bibtex&c=apps

Last edited by progandy (2018-02-06 01:51:34)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#7 2018-02-06 02:51:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

As a former PhD student, don't look for anything android-compatible. The phone is not a suitable device for the sort of work/thinking you need to do when pursuing a post-graduate qualification, the screen is too small and tiring on the eyes, the incessant notifications are too distracting.

I used zotero all through my Masters and PhD. Served me well, combined with latex for writing (I wouldn't recommend libreoffice if you're in any technicall/mathematical field where non-trivial formulae are used). As a current academic I use libreoffice much more, as the job mostly involves presentations etc. and I've never really liked beamer, but when your focus is writing for publication you should really live in latex.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2018-02-06 22:47:52

imdn

Having been in your position before, I'd second using Jabref. Advantages:

• Cross Platform - plays well with Linux/Windows/Mac.

• Able to natively insert citations in Libreoffice Writer or via the Bibtex4word plugin in MS Word .

• You can import your Endnote bibliography directly.It's also possible to import citations from a wide variety of formats

• If you start using LaTeX later, Jabref is a natural fit, since it uses BibTeX format for storage.

If I could think of any disadvantages, it'd be that the GUI has been written in Java, so it looks rather ugly. Once you get past the looks though, you will find that it's very utilitarian and just works.

#9 2018-02-06 22:54:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

imdn wrote:

If I could think of any disadvantages, it'd be that the GUI has been written in Java, so it looks rather ugly. Once you get past the looks though, you will find that it's very utilitarian and just works.

It may take a little configuring, but all that "ugliness" is readily fixable.  You can even have it use gtk themes if you want.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer