You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-08 00:35:58

Corey Goettsch

Inserting bootable live USB into system deletes EFI grub entry

Hello all,

I have stumbled upon a very strange bug indeed--one that I cannot seem to find anywhere else.  I first noticed it booting into Ubuntu 17.10.  I inserted the live usb into my system, rebooted, and when the computer rebooted, GRUB failed to appear, and I got a scrambled message saying that Windows could not boot.  I was horrified since I have a Lenovo laptop--I thought I may have fallen victim to that terrible bug that can brick a Lenovo BIOS.  I inserted a trusty Arch live disk, chrooted into my system and reinstalled Grub using the EFI method.  Luckily, that fixed the problem.  I then DD'd Ubuntu 16.04 onto a thumb drive, and I encountered the same problem.  And I was able to reinstall Grub EFI via a live disc.  I then DD'd KDE Neon onto a thumb drive.  Same problem.  I took a look through the boot messages with journalctl, and I could not figure out what happened. 

Has anyone heard of this before?  It's very strange.  I have no idea if this is a manifestation of the Intel bug or a Linux issue.  I thought the Intel bug did not allow one to save changes to the boot sequence or reinstall GRUB. 

I would be very grateful for your help, and I would be happy to post any logs that may help. 

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Corey Goettsch

Board footer