You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-07 11:27:58

jemin

VirtualBox Guest Additions do not take effect

Hello, first post here.

Installed Arch in VirtualBox Mac (10.9.5) host, v. 5.2.6 (latest available as of today, 7-Feb-2018). All is well, except guest add-ons do not take effect.

What I tried:

1.  ArchWiki Installation section:

1.1 $ sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-modules-arch virtualbox-guest-utils

After that:
  1.2 $ sudo vi /etc/modules-load.d/virtualbox

Saving the file with these lines:

vboxguest
   vboxsf
   vboxvideo

1.3 reboot

2. The method 1. did not work, tried next option in ArchWiki - iso istall
  2.1 uninstalled  earlier step's packages with:
  $ sudo pacman -R virtualbox-guest-modules-arch virtualbox-guest-utils

2.2 installed virtualbox-guest-iso package
  2.3 as root, mounted and run sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

I read in ArchWiki that version of additions must be the same as VirutalBox host. Here I have a mismatch, as pacman downloads guest additions v. 5.2.7, whilst Mac VirutalBox app is vs 5.2.6 (but it is the latest on https://www.virtualbox.org.)

What gives?

EDIT:

I started seeing:

[FAILED] Failed to start vboxadd.service
and
[FAILED] Failed to start vboxadd-service.service

After bootload but before login.

EDIT 2:

Uninstalled the iso version with:
sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run uninstall

Re-installed with:
$ sudo pacman -S virtualbox-guest-modules-arch virtualbox-guest-utils

No more Failed to start vboxadd.services messages, but still guest add-ons do not seem to activate.

Last edited by jemin (2018-02-07 12:14:22)

#2 2018-02-08 11:59:51

jemin

Re: VirtualBox Guest Additions do not take effect

I'm trying to install VirutalBox guest additions.

I insert iso disk from VirtualBox host app in Mac. How do I mount and access this image from within Arch guest?

#3 2018-02-08 12:16:00

ooo

You could just install the guest additions from arch repos: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vi … t_services

If that doesn't suit you for some reason, I'd imagine you'd have to mount the virtual disk in guest, as you would regular cd-rom, after it's been inserted in the host application.

EDIT. Somehow I linked on wrong title on the wiki page. Trillby corrected my error below..

Last edited by ooo (2018-02-08 14:28:18)

#4 2018-02-08 12:25:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-02-08 12:36:27

jemin

Thanks for replies.

I'm having difficulty installing guest add-ons as described in [this](https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234261) post in this forum.

So, my question is very specific to the CD-Rom with guest add-ons inserted from within VirtualBox app on the Mac. I can insert it, but how do I mount it in the guest Arch?

Which device is it listed as (/dev/sdr?)?

#6 2018-02-08 12:39:04

jemin

Also, which markdown tags are supported in this forum? Tried to google it with little luck.

Edit: nevermind. Found.

Last edited by jemin (2018-02-08 12:40:06)

#7 2018-02-08 12:47:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just read your previous thread.  You really should have just continue there.

You've now created an X-Y problem with a confusing background.  I can't really help with the Y of this thread (mounting that iso from the host) other than to say most virtual box clients have device options where you'd load an iso as if it was a CD inserted in the guest system.  But this is not a question for these forums, you'd have to ask on a Mac forum as it is a problem with software running on your host/Mac OS.

I do think this 'Y' is the wrong solution.  Your attempts in the other thread were the right approach.  If they didn't work, you should figure out why.  One apparent error is that you added entries to the modules-load directory.  You should not do this.  I don't know if this would necessarily cause the problems you are having, but I'd strongly suggest following the directions properly first.

If you follow the directions in our wiki and they fail, we can help.  If you struggle getting Mac OS software to do what you think will solve the problem, we really can't help.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2018-02-08 13:04:54

jemin

Trilby wrote:

I just read your previous thread.  You really should have just continue there.

Well, that thread was not getting much attention, so I decided to discard that virtual machine and start anew.

Trilby wrote:

I most virtual box clients have device options where you'd load an iso as if it was a CD inserted in the guest system.

If I understand the above correctly, you suggest that I can't load CD from the VirtualBox Mac client. I actually can. The CD is loaded. My question is how this CD is showing up in Arch (as /dev/sdr?)?

#9 2018-02-08 13:11:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

jemin wrote:

Well, that thread was not getting much attention, so I decided to discard...

It had only been 24 hours.  Posting a new thread simply to draw new attention to your issue and abandoning your old threads each run counter to our community guidelines.

Trilby wrote:

If I understand the above correctly, you suggest that I can't load CD from the VirtualBox Mac client

No, I was suggesting you need to, and that if you have trouble doing so it is not an arch linux issue.  But if you have done so, then it should be visible as a device node, usually /dev/sr0.

#10 2018-02-08 13:14:17

jemin

Trilby wrote:

... run counter to our community

Noted.

Trilby wrote:

... usually /dev/sr0.

Many thanks.

#11 2018-02-08 13:27:56

jemin

Another thread here suggested that step 1.2 above was the obvious error. Having spent more than ten hours researching the problem, I might have introduced some other changes to the system, which now unnecessarily complicate the install. So, I decided to discard this virtual machine and start anew.

#12 2018-02-08 14:48:38

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: Merging your two threads

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer