You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-07 21:45:08

r.ill

System freeze during streaming.

Let me begin by saying that this may not be a streaming media specific issue, it has just been pretty consistent with this particular scenario.

For the time being, I have my laptop purposed mainly as a media center (Hulu, and Netflix mostly.) I have these services streaming over HDMI to an external monitor (TV) through Chromium with the widevine plugin on an Arch Linux x86 install running on a HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook; kernel: 4.15.1-2; Desktop: Deepin. I am utilizing the open source video drivers (AMD).

Now for the issue -

Every 1.5 to 2 hours or so the entire system freezes during streaming. Total system freeze, I can not access any system tools or drop into the shell. If I unplug the HDMI cable (set to only display on the external monitor) the panel on my laptop screen does not initialize, only the backlight. The only action I can seem to take is a hard reset of the system each time it takes place. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Is there a log that I could pull that may point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance you may be able to provide.

Kindest Regards,
Rex

#2 2018-02-08 10:41:07

Morn

Re: System freeze during streaming.

First I would try this with Firefox (make sure DRM is enabled). Widevine is in the AUR and I think you will get better support here if you use the official repos.

#3 2018-02-08 14:51:23

r.ill

Re: System freeze during streaming.

Thank you!

I will give it a try with Firefox.

IIRC, I did install Widevine via the AUR however.

Kindest Regards,
Rex

Board footer