You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-08 20:21:18

MountainX

[SOLVED] Using CTRL-ALT-L to lock screen causes Plasma 5 to hang

I have three monitors on my KDE system. If I use CTRL-ALT-L to lock the screen, the middle screen goes blank while the two side monitors continue showing the desktop. And the Plasma session instantly hangs. The only way I have found to recover is the CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE key to kill the X server.

Strangely, if I lock the screen using the menu Kickstart > Session > Lock it works correctly. The problem ONLY happens when using the shortcut. Removing and recreating the shortcut doesn't solve the issue.

I've been running Arch on this system since it was new, around 1.5 years ago. This problem started about two weeks ago after an update. After the most recent update two days ago, the problem seemed to go away, as the first time I tried CTRL-ALT-L to lock the screen, it worked corrected. But the next day (with no changes to the computer at all), CTRL-ALT-L again caused my Plasma session to hang.

If I switch to another virtual console while Plasma is hung, I can log in. If I run this command:

sudo loginctl unlock-sessions

all three monitors go black. The mouse cursor remains visible and it changes shape from pointer to text selection as it is moved around, indicating it is passing over text input areas. So it would seem that my session (with Kate open) is still running, but the screens are all completely black (except for the mouse cursor).

The Arch system is setup up the same as another Arch system that doesn't have the issue.

No error messages are shown in the journal.

EDIT: problem disappeared. Not sure of any further details.

Last edited by MountainX (2020-10-18 17:02:15)

Board footer