You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-07 08:35:11

mattblack_uk2002

ADSL / fglrx problems after system update [Solved]

I'm hoping that somebody will be able to help me with this as I'm struggling to find the answer elsewhere in this forum. I recently installed Arch 0.7.2 base. I then got my internet connection sorted using my speedtouch modem as per the instructions on the Wiki. (using pppoa). I the installed xorg7, and gnome. I installed the ati-fglrx drivers from the instructions on the wiki. Up to this point, everything was working just fine.

I then decided to update the system so I did a pacman -Syu and all seemed to go well. After rebooting the machine, it would not start x and from the debug messages on the screen it seemed to be saying that it was having a problem loading the fglrx module.

I thought that I would try uninstalling the fglrx packages, then reinstalling and reconfiguring. I uninstalled them but then discovered that when I tried to download anything, my connection would be lost within a few seconds and wouldn't let me reconnect. The only way to reconnect was to reboot first. (I did find out that I had to do a modprobe ppp-generic first in order to connect since the update)

I then deleted my xorg.conf, and created another using hwd -x and then managed to get back into gnome using the default drivers - but obviously with no 3d acceleration. (I have a radeon 9500pro by the way). I tried connecting again and this time tested the connection through firefox. I managed to open 1 webpage before losing my connection again.

I'm sorry that I cannot post any logs just at the moment as I'm at work although I can later on. I'm just wondering for now if these problems seem familiar to anyone?

#2 2006-07-07 08:50:29

atalman

Re: ADSL / fglrx problems after system update [Solved]

i'm using Speedtouch 330 modem and I have exactly the same problem. My internet connection seems to be very unstable. For example when I use Pacman the download speed seems to go up and down all the time from 0 Kb/s to 100 Kb/s and quite often I loose the connection alltogether. I need to unplug the modem and wait for a while before I can reconnect. I was trying Debian and Ubuntu on the same machine with the same modem last weekend and the connection worked fine, download speed being stable 61 Kb/s (yes, I have a slow connection).

The modem seemed to work fine on Arch just a while ago (I cant remember when this problem started but it was before Gimmic was released).

A

#3 2006-07-07 09:54:19

mattblack_uk2002

I forgot to mention that I have already tried changing mirrors with pacman, and also using wget but with no success.

#4 2006-07-07 12:41:19

rivierrakid

I have exactly the same problem as atalman.
My modem works fine, I can play eternal-lands/browse webpages for hours on end, but as soon as the modem is under any kind of heavy load, ie: ktorrent, amule, ebay (lots of images and open in new tabs) the connection dies..
I try 

killall pppd

usually to find

pppd: no process killed

, so I then try

pppd call speedtch

which lets me know that the modem is already connected??

So I have to unplug/replug the modem in, pppd call speedtch, then it connects again on a different 'channel'.

dmesg shows no errors, I have enabled debug in the pppd settings which shows nothing, my firmwares are correct as Ive used the same on Slackware and Arch for ages. I originally thought the modem(rev 4) was dying so I swapped it over for my backup, an older manta/stingray  version, different (working) firmware but all the same problems.

#5 2006-07-08 17:04:25

rivierrakid

after a bit of investigation I found this which I think is the problem:

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6752

apparently, from what I can make out, it has to do with USB and is way too technical for me to comprehend, something with urbs?

It states kernel 2.6.16 worked fine (which I'd agree), and the problem is with 2.6.17.

If this is the problem, lets hope they fix it quickly.

and just for reference my USB controller is:

# lspci -v|grep HCI
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])

#6 2006-07-08 19:11:35

atalman

Thaks for that rivierrakid. (edit: Sorry got the name wrong earlier)

I created this thread
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=23072
to let people know about the bug.

A

#7 2006-07-08 21:02:02

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Better shop for a broadband ethernet modem, prices for those start around 30 euro nowadays.
Many Internet providers now have  instructions on their website how to setup such a modem.
(you will also need a networkcard in your pc).

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#8 2006-07-08 21:04:49

mattblack_uk2002

Update!

After struggling for a few days to get my speedtouch modem working fine, I have finally done it.

I reversed the steps in the wiki to get it back to how it was. I then downloaded the latest speedtouchconf script and firmware from steve-parker.org. Instructions for using this are on his website and quite clear.

After installing and rebooting, manually start by doing /etc/rc.d/speedtouch start

or adding speedtouch to daemons in rc.conf may start it automatically - although It does take about 1 minute to start. I'd prefer it to start with gnome although I'm not too sure on how to do that.

#9 2006-07-08 21:55:18

mattblack_uk2002

fglrx problem solved.....

reinstalled libstdc++5 ( pacman -S libstdc++5 )
depmod -a

see http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=19504

Board footer