You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-10 08:25:17

Adderall

[SOLVED] sudo pacman -Syyuu and xorgproto

Hello everybody, this issue just came up, and I'm not sure how to correct it. Can anyone please help? I searched online for a solution, but I thought I'd ask here, since I'm rather inexperienced with Arch Linux. Thank you in advance.

[adderall@Skynet ~]$ sudo pacman -Syyuu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                                            127.8 KiB  2.60M/s 00:00 [####################################################] 100%
 extra                                                          1594.6 KiB  9.55M/s 00:00 [####################################################] 100%
 community                                                         4.1 MiB  7.79M/s 00:01 [####################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                        166.6 KiB  12.5M/s 00:00 [####################################################] 100%
 archlinuxfr                                                      12.1 KiB  11.8M/s 00:00 [####################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace compositeproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace damageproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace dmxproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace fixesproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace fontsproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace inputproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace kbproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace randrproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] 
:: Replace recordproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace renderproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace scrnsaverproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace videoproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xextproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xf86dgaproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xf86vidmodeproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xineramaproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
:: Replace xproto with extra/xorgproto? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: libxfont: removing fontsproto breaks dependency 'fontsproto>=2.1.3'

Last edited by jasonwryan (2018-02-10 21:34:15)

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

#2 2018-02-10 08:29:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] sudo pacman -Syyuu and xorgproto

Where did you get libxfont from?

Also, edit your thread title and change it to one that describes your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-02-10 08:35:25

MrLinuxFish

I was having the same issue today and when I removed libxfont it resolved the problem. It seems I got libxfont from somewhere on both of my arch systems even though it is not in the repos. As far as I can tell It got removed or upgraded to libxfont2 recently and is now causing problems.

By running this command it should fix your problem by removing the conflicting package.

pacman -Rs libxfont

#4 2018-02-10 08:39:37

bitraid

For me it's a dependence of xorg-server-xwayland, which is a dependence of sway.

#5 2018-02-10 08:40:28

pb
Website

Inspect your system for package that require exactly libxfont (1.x version). libxfont 1.x was replaced by libxfont2 (but there isn't any info in PKBGUILD), and there isn't lixfont (1.x) in repository now. So if you haven't any applications (from AUR I think), that requires lixfont you can remove it and upgrade your system without any problems. I have had this same problem few days ago (Arch-testing) and it was solution for me.

@bitraid: xorg-server-xwayland depends on libxfont2: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr … -xwayland/. Really - in this moment there shouldn't be any applications in our repo that requires libxfont (1.x).

Last edited by pb (2018-02-10 08:44:11)

#6 2018-02-10 08:41:51

ua4000

I'm sure libxfont was installed by a dependency in the past, I did not install it manual.
Nevertheless, libxfont went orphan in 2017, so I removed it on my system :-)

#7 2018-02-10 08:42:00

bitraid

I was wrong, that was libxfont2....

#8 2018-02-10 08:51:17

Adderall

MrLinuxFish wrote:

I was having the same issue today and when I removed libxfont it resolved the problem. It seems I got libxfont from somewhere on both of my arch systems even though it is not in the repos. As far as I can tell It got removed or upgraded to libxfont2 recently and is now causing problems.

By running this command it should fix your problem by removing the conflicting package.

pacman -Rs libxfont

I used this command, then ran  sudo pacman -Syyuu again. Then I just answered 'y' to all those weird prompts, and the problem went away. Thanks man.

Last edited by Adderall (2018-02-10 08:56:28)

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

#9 2018-02-10 08:56:08

MrLinuxFish

xorgproto seems to be a package meant to replace all those other dependencies in one package. If I were to guess, I would say they are trying to simplify all those dependencies into one package.

#10 2018-02-10 11:34:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Adderall wrote:

... then ran  sudo pacman -Syyuu again.

There is just no reason for the excess flags.  The command to update your system is `pacman -Syu`.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#11 2018-02-10 11:38:39

Kresimir

I manually installed lixfont2, then removed libxfont and then executed "pacman -Suy" without any issue.
(had this issue on my Raspberry Pi, Arch Linux ARM)

#12 2018-02-10 14:04:41

Enverex
Website

Trilby wrote:
Adderall wrote:

... then ran  sudo pacman -Syyuu again.

There is just no reason for the excess flags.  The command to update your system is `pacman -Syu`.

They aren't excess flags. The second "y" forces a refresh of the repo cache in case something else has been updated/added and the second "u" allows for downgrades of software as well as upgrades, which can be necessary if something is being rolled back.

#13 2018-02-10 14:26:29

Omar007

Enverex wrote:

The second "y" forces a refresh of the repo cache in case something else has been updated/added

No it doesn't. You only need this if for some reason your local sync database is corrupt and doesn't recover, or if you have a shitty mirror and change mirrors.
If your sync database is healthy and your mirror is as well, you don't need it twice. You're just created excess and useless bandwidth usage for both the server as well as yourself.

Enverex wrote:

and the second "u" allows for downgrades of software as well as upgrades, which can be necessary if something is being rolled back.

Never happens unless you go from the testing back to the stable repositories (which is an action you yourself consciously have to make).
If a package has already been pushed to the repositories and for some reason requires a downgrade, the package's epoch will be increased: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD#epoch

TL;DR: They are excess flags, only required for very specific situations. For normal system updates: `pacman -Syu`

Last edited by Omar007 (2018-02-10 14:33:46)

#14 2018-02-10 14:38:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

All of the above.  But on a more general level:

Enverex wrote:

The second "y" forces ...

Yes, and the general mindset of forcefully overriding pacman's sane default behavior leads to countless problems.  Pacman is one of arch linux's greatest strengths.  Use it properly.  On occasion a second 'y' will be called for, on occasion a second 'u' may be called for, on very rare occasion actual '--force' may be called for.  But none of these should be one's default use.

Using these flags needlessly suggests that the user thinks they are smarter than pacman while simultaneously proving that they aren't.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#15 2018-02-10 21:24:49

stanna

MrLinuxFish wrote:
pacman -Rs libxfont

just wanted to say thankyou, this resolved the issue for me..

#16 2018-02-11 00:47:30

1985a1

MrLinuxFish wrote:

pacman -Rs libxfont

Thnks it works for me

#17 2018-02-11 05:48:39

thunder72

MrLinuxFish wrote:

pacman -Rs libxfont

Thanks, This is my issue too

#18 2018-02-11 07:16:45

vortex

Kresimir wrote:

I manually installed lixfont2, then removed libxfont and then executed "pacman -Suy" without any issue.
(had this issue on my Raspberry Pi, Arch Linux ARM)

*libxfont2 to be "that guy" to correct a minor typo, then all proceeded as normal on two Arch machines for me.
Kudos, thanks for the tip smile

#19 2018-02-11 15:06:30

ZiNez

This fixed the problem for me.

1) "pacman -Rns libxfont" to remove libxfont
2) "pacman -Syu" answering No to all the proto replacements - lots of packages updated
3) "pacman -Syu" answering Yes to the proto replacements. - several packages removed, only a few added/updated

#20 2018-02-11 15:25:04

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Since the problem has been solved, and the topic is quickly devolving into a bunch of "me too" posts, I'm going to go ahead and close it now.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … mpty_posts

Closing

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer