You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-10 10:40:15

tydynrain
Website

USB Hard Drives Fail to Mount with BFQ Scheduler on Kernel 4.15.x

Hi all.

Well, I can confirm that the upstream kernel  bug (mq-bfq breaks usb drives under kernel 4.15) that breaks USB storage devices is present in the Arch mainline and zen kernels (I haven't tested others yet). What's curious is that after installing libmtp, I was able to get USB flash/thumb drives to work again, but the hard drive I have in my hard drive cloner/USB dock still doesn't mount. The system will also hang on shutdown, sometimes requiring a hard reboot. In  dmesg it said that my USB hard drive was detected, but then kept spitting out the same or a similar error over and over. I can post that if useful, but I will have to do it once I re-enable BFQ and reboot.

Once I went back to CFQ to test, everything worked as it had before the upgrade to the 4.15.x series of kernels.

I know this is not a question or unsolved problem, but I thought it might be useful information for anyone else who might have this issue. If the admins feel this post should be somewhere else, please move it.

Tydyn.

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#2 2018-02-10 10:44:50

tydynrain
Website

Re: USB Hard Drives Fail to Mount with BFQ Scheduler on Kernel 4.15.x

Apparently there is a fix, thankfully. I hope it flows downstream soon...[PATCH BUGFIX V2 0/1] block, bfq: handle requeues

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.

#3 2018-02-10 11:27:08

loqs

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1766096
Hopefully the patch that is merged to mainline will be marked for stable as well you could always ask in the thread you linked in post #2.

#4 2018-02-10 20:56:58

tydynrain
Website

loqs wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1766096
Hopefully the patch that is merged to mainline will be marked for stable as well you could always ask in the thread you linked in post #2.

Thank you loqs, much appreciated. Riding the kernel wave of changes with each release is sometimes a tad harrowing, and somewhat exciting. I'm getting fairly good at figuring out issues as they present themselves.

Board footer