You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-12 04:40:55

kode54

linux-rt-lts enables DEBUG_PREEMPT... why?

I am asking why the linux-rt kernel, specifically the LTS version, enables CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT. The last time I booted and enabled my KVM / libvirt / Qemu VMs on a kernel that enabled DEBUG_PREEMPT, my syslog was flooded with gigantic stack traces at every batch of VM guest code switching into context, due to some KVM function requesting the processor ID during a preemptible block. I attempted to apply a patch to the kernel which would disable preempt for that entire function, but that resulted in VMs that would deadlock instead of executing.

I have instead lived well with a preempt kernel that disables the debug messages. My report to the Liquorix kernel led to them disabling that setting on their kernels as well.

Is there any chance that this option was enabled in error? Or is it even necessary for anything short of full on kernel debugging? I have modified my local copy of the linux-rt-lts PKGCONFIG and config files to disable it for my build, but I'm not even sure if that same preempt + kvm bug exists as far back as the 4.9.x branch.

#2 2018-02-12 06:41:44

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: linux-rt-lts enables DEBUG_PREEMPT... why?

You're more likely to get a response on the AUR page, this sounds like a conscious decision by the package maintainer.

Mod note: moving to AUR issues

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer