You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-12 02:12:43

douglascast

Nautilus (Gnome): coping instead of moving files between xdg dirs

Hi all.

Some time ago I've installed Arch Linux inside a SSD (regular mount /dev/sda2 /mnt) and my HOME folder inside of a encrypted LVM with a group with two "divisions" (partitions) personal data and swap.

I've instaled a "basic" installation of Gnome (Gnome-Shell) with Nautilus, Totem and Music (with Pacman) to let things "KISS".

But, I've notice a problem while coping data between XDG folder architecture using the sidebar of Nautilus.

If I try to copy a file / folder from Downloads to Documents via the side bar (xdg dirs), it makes a copy of the file instead of move it, but if I move the same file to Images for example, Nautilus move it normaly instead of coping.

Folder permissions are right (write and read) this problem disaper after some time (if I let Nautilus open).

I have no problems if use Nautilus with Flatpak.

Last edited by douglascast (2018-02-12 13:23:05)

#2 2018-02-12 06:52:05

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Nautilus (Gnome): coping instead of moving files between xdg dirs

Please change your topic title to something that actually describes your issue.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2018-02-12 12:35:40

mxfm

douglascast wrote:

If I try to copy a file from Downloads to Documents it makes a copy of the file instead of move it, but move the file if I the destination is Images, but if I try to copy something from Musics to Documents for example, things move normaly, folder permissions are right (write and read), this problem disaper before some time are opened.

You should check this text, it is utterly unclear (and forum people should not waste time guessing what you want to say).

#4 2018-02-12 13:28:08

douglascast

WorMzy wrote:

Please change your topic title to something that actually describes your issue.

Sorry for that.

mxfm wrote:

You should check this text, it is utterly unclear (and forum people should not waste time guessing what you want to say).

I guess the first line describes the problems in the way it is:

douglascast wrote:

If I try to copy a file from Downloads to Documents it makes a copy of the file instead of move it...

But I've tryied to fix my explanation now (at least I hope so).

Just looking for a solution for the "copy instead of move" problem.

Last edited by douglascast (2018-02-12 15:35:48)

#5 2018-02-12 19:53:57

eda2z

If you hold down the control key while you are dragging you will see a plus sign (+) appear and you will get file copying rather than moving.  It also make a difference as to where the two directories reside.  If they are on the same volume then dragging/dropping without any auxiliary keys will move by default; whereas if they are on different volumes then copy is the default.  When the "default" is copy, then Shift will force a move.

Last edited by eda2z (2018-02-12 19:58:10)

#6 2018-02-13 02:29:07

douglascast

eda2z wrote:

If you hold down the control key while you are dragging you will see a plus sign (+) appear and you will get file copying rather than moving.  It also make a difference as to where the two directories reside.  If they are on the same volume then dragging/dropping without any auxiliary keys will move by default; whereas if they are on different volumes then copy is the default.  When the "default" is copy, then Shift will force a move.

My HOME folder is inside one volume, like I've sayd, this behavior don't affect Nautilus when it runs from inside flatpak, and also disapear after a couple of seconds if I try to move content from diferent folders, so it's not a placement issue (or keyboard).

Another reason for my believe its the way the folders interact with each other, content from Downloads folder are being copied to the Documents folder, but the content from the Documents folder is being moved to the Downloads folder, if it was a placement issue, this would affect both folders in the exactly same way, both would copy or move content to each other.

By some reason is afecting files or folders that are inside of some of the XDG folders in my home, like my Downloads folder.

I've already tried to change the XDG path to absolute instead of relative, no changes in the behavior.

#7 2018-02-13 06:35:53

gnumdk

>content from Downloads folder are being copied to the Documents folder

Not happening here, so maybe a bug with LVM?

#8 2018-02-13 17:07:25

douglascast

gnumdk wrote:

>content from Downloads folder are being copied to the Documents folder

Not happening here, so maybe a bug with LVM?

Sounds more like a Nautilus bug with LVM (I guess). Nemo does not have this behavior.

There is a way to track the commands running in background when I'm using Nautilus? Take a look in whats wrong to open a bug report or post a better description to get help.

Board footer