You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-12 00:32:01

alex.shpilkin

[SOLVED] No Cyrillic in interface font after recent GNOME update

After a recent system update, the default GNOME interface font (whatever it is) on my installation appears to be missing Cyrillic characters. Notice how the Russian part of the filename in this Nautilus screenshot appears to be in DejaVu Sans:

Image showing an English image caption in the default font and a Russian one in what seems to be DejaVu Sans

I’m blaming this on the update because the look of the Latin characters appears to have changed somewhat as well (though not enough to qualify as a new font).

Last edited by alex.shpilkin (2018-02-12 13:19:25)

#2 2018-02-12 10:56:09

seth

Re: [SOLVED] No Cyrillic in interface font after recent GNOME update

DISPLAY=:0 FC_DEBUG=4 pango-view --font=sans -t _missing_cyrillic_letter_here_ | grep family:
fc-match "sans"
fc-match "DejaVu Sans"

But you should really figure which font family is actually configured for gnome/nautilus

The lating glyphs look like the condensed variant while the cyrillic test seems slightly boldened?

#3 2018-02-12 13:19:04

alex.shpilkin

Re: [SOLVED] No Cyrillic in interface font after recent GNOME update

seth wrote:

But you should really figure which font family is actually configured for gnome/nautilus

Cantarell, the default GNOME font, and the Cyrillic glyphs end up being substituted by DejaVu Sans. Sorry, should’ve done my homework: the NEWS for cantarell-fonts do state that the latest v0.100 is a complete redesign and is missing everything but Latin. Shame, guess I’ll have to downgrade and hold for now, the two fonts are unbearably ugly side by side.

Marking this topic as solved.

Board footer