You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-24 04:39:19

LGama

Reasons to contribute

Why people contribute to AUR? What are the most common reasons?

#2 2018-02-24 04:53:21

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Reasons to contribute

Because FOSS depends upon people to succeed. Arch, in particular, values contributions; our ethos is very much built on the notion that contributing (packages in the AUR, wiki editing, developing, bug reporting and squashing, helping out here, etc) is what makes you an Archer.

wiki wrote:

Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more user-friendly, Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain user-centric. The distribution is intended to fill the needs of those contributing to it, rather than trying to appeal to as many users as possible.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … centrality (my emphasis).

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-02-24 17:54:38

SilverMight

Helps the entire community, plus you.

#4 2018-02-24 18:15:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I am pragmatic to a degree that some would call selfish.  Personally I believe that if everyone acted with a good share of rational self interest, the world would be a better place.  I am not inclined to expect truly altruistic behavior (as I don't believe this actually exists).  But if you are already doing something to benefit yourself, and sharing it with others would - at no cost to yourself - benefit them, it is the only sane thing to do.  Failing to do so at that point borders on criminal.

So my AUR packages are simply things that I want.  In order to use them on my arch system, I need a working PKGBUILD.  Once I have a working PKGBUILD, it costs me nothing to post it on the AUR.

I believe there are, however, different motives that influence others.  But I also think they can sometimes be counter productive.  I suspect in some people's minds, having a large number of "contributions" makes them a more valuable or better member of the community.  So having lots of AUR packages becomes an ends in and of itself.  This just leads to crap packages multiplying for no reason.  The motivation to do things either purely for others or to build one's own status can end up being a burden to others when the AUR gets filled with garbage that the packager/maintainer doesn't even really use.

Make stuff you want.  If you still want it after you make it, share it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2018-02-24 21:24:11

tydynrain
Website

I love this about Arch. 100% community-driven and created. If it exists, it was created by someone (a lot of someones) donating and contributing their time, effort, and creativity. Personally, I love Arch so much, that I very much want to contribute as much as I possibly am able, to help Arch continue and improve through time. I've never encountered such a coherent, cohesive, comprehensive, and focused community project with which I align so strongly. At the moment, I contribute as best I can at any particular moment, which will increase over time as I learn and go deeper.

Last edited by tydynrain (2018-02-24 22:05:02)

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#6 2018-02-27 02:12:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:

But if you are already doing something to benefit yourself, and sharing it with others would - at no cost to yourself - benefit them, it is the only sane thing to do.  Failing to do so at that point borders on criminal.

There is no such thing as 'no cost to yourself', just 'minimal cost'. Not sharing is almost always easier than sharing.

However in certain cases (AUR packages for example) sharing is so easy as to below a certain 'pain level' where it would start to become burdensome.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer