You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-22 17:48:52

amhairghin

Chromium hangouts screen share cannot share chromium itself

I do not know if it happens to someone else, but If I open a hangouts and shares my screen, if I choose app share and try to share chromium itself don't work.

I'm using a GNOME desktop and can share full screen and other apps, but when I share chromium my partner only view the mouse pointer.

Any ideas?

#2 2018-02-23 15:45:26

Annoyingduck

Re: Chromium hangouts screen share cannot share chromium itself

amhairghin wrote:

I do not know if it happens to someone else, but If I open a hangouts and shares my screen, if I choose app share and try to share chromium itself don't work.

I'm using a GNOME desktop and can share full screen and other apps, but when I share chromium my partner only view the mouse pointer.

Any ideas?

I'm not understanding what your trying to do.  What do you mean by share full screen apps?  Are you talking about a screenshot of your running app or sharing your live running Chromium browser?  I've never heard of Hangouts being able to share live running programs, that's what Chrome Remote Desktop or Teamviewer or VNC are used for.

#3 2018-02-23 16:59:06

amhairghin

In a hangouts call you can share your entire screen or a specific app.

See here https://gsuite.google.com/learning-cent … #section-3 or a video sample https://youtu.be/s2vN0K4xdyY

I can share my full screen or a specific app while it not be chromium itself. If I choose chromium app in screen share selector my partner only view a green screen and the mouse pointer.

#4 2018-02-23 17:22:53

Annoyingduck

amhairghin wrote:

In a hangouts call you can share your entire screen or a specific app.

See here https://gsuite.google.com/learning-cent … #section-3 or a video sample https://youtu.be/s2vN0K4xdyY

I can share my full screen or a specific app while it not be chromium itself. If I choose chromium app in screen share selector my partner only view a green screen and the mouse pointer.

I didn't even know that option existed.  Have you tried it with Google-Chrome over Chromium?

#5 2018-02-24 10:15:31

amhairghin

Annoyingduck wrote:

I didn't even know that option existed.  Have you tried it with Google-Chrome over Chromium?

My problem is with Chromium. It doesn't matter to me if it works with Chrome.

#6 2018-02-24 11:19:40

Annoyingduck

amhairghin wrote:
Annoyingduck wrote:

My problem is with Chromium. It doesn't matter to me if it works with Chrome.

There are many Google related features that work on Chrome that do not work on Chromium, knowing if it works on Chrome narrows down the possibilities. Sorry for trying to help, I'm out.

#7 2018-03-05 17:08:46

Dashius

I have this same issue, however it used to work just fine; I find that the problems arose when I did a full system upgrade about 5 days ago and I assume I am now on the latest version of chromium...

Am considering rolling chromium back to see if that helps, any guidance on a better solution would be appreciated.

#8 2018-03-05 21:39:35

adomas
Website

I am using Chromium and I use Hangouts screen sharing, but I always share full-screen and it works.

Somehow I suspect it might be caused by windows manager. By default Chromium is using it's "own compositor", but you can change that to use systems one. In settings just check "Use system title bar and borders" and try again, might work smile

#9 2018-03-06 11:13:55

amhairghin

adomas wrote:

Somehow I suspect it might be caused by windows manager. By default Chromium is using it's "own compositor", but you can change that to use systems one. In settings just check "Use system title bar and borders" and try again, might work smile

Nope. Seems a problem with latest version of Chromium, but the theme or compositor do not affect to screen sharing, it fails in any case.

#10 2018-03-06 19:19:37

asamarin

Just came here to report the exact same issue. Per-app screen-sharing was working fine up until a few days ago; all I get to share now is a solid green screen, although fullscreen sharing still works fine, as mentioned above. I'll try downgrading chromium and see what happens.

EDIT: I've tested the following versions:

• chromium-64.0.3282.119-1 (last known to work fine for me)

• chromium-64.0.3282.140-2

• chromium-64.0.3282.167-1

• chromium-64.0.3282.186-1 (latest version as of today)

So far, nothing has changed; I get the same green screen with all above versions, including the last one I'm positive it worked OK (I correlated dates with my pacman.log), so it seems problem lies somewhere else. I'll keep digging.

EDIT 2: I tried again with latest dev channel build (version 66.0.3350.0-1). Nothing changed

Last edited by asamarin (2018-03-07 00:56:58)

Board footer