You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-24 23:33:34

jNumbers

Search AUR in Console

After my favorite package helper stop being maintained, pacaur, I've decided to finally learn how to install packages manually. My biggest concern is having to use a web browser and terminal to search and install packages. It seems very inefficient moving from keyboard to mouse and vice-versa.

Are there any packages that simply search the AUR in the terminal. Or can you recommend an AUR helper that excels in searching for aur packages (e.g rank by votes or popularity). In addition, it's important that I'm able to search by just the name of package or a description matching a pattern.

I've tried using yaourt, but its search functions seem to be nonexistent.

Last edited by jNumbers (2018-02-24 23:36:39)

#2 2018-02-24 23:37:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Search AUR in Console

auracle has a good search function, by name or description, but it doesn't do votes. I generally search the AUR with surfraw.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-02-25 01:23:46

eschwartz
Fellow

Huh? yaourt's search function is just as good as any AUR helper's is... yaourt -Ssa searchterm

That being said, auracle is a dedicated search tool. So is package-query, which is actually the API backend for yaourt (and is a far more reasonable piece of software than yaourt itself). `package-query -As searchterm`

aurutils is a modular AUR helper, with a number of tools useful for general purposes like aursearch (full-featured), or aurgrep (pkgnames only), on top of aurbuild (build a PKGBUILD and add it to a custom repository), aurfetch (read pkgnames on stdin and download them from the AUR), and aursync (reference implementation that ties together other aurutils commands to act as what most people think of an AUR helper as).

Generally speaking, there are *lots* of tools for interacting with the AUR's json search API. It's the very first step in implementing an AUR helper...

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2018-02-25 17:31:31

archimboldo

jasonwryan wrote:

I generally search the AUR with surfraw.

Thank you for a surfraw reminder.

Last edited by archimboldo (2018-02-25 17:31:52)

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#5 2018-02-25 18:21:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Eschwartz wrote:

Generally speaking, there are *lots* of tools for interacting with the AUR's json search API. It's the very first step in implementing an AUR helper...

Yup.  Strictly shell only might be tricky, but if python handles json very well.  I have my own aur helper that duplicates every feature of cower I ever used (and then some) in about 100 lines of python, and a majority of that is just formatting the output and adding nice colors and alignment.  The 'search' function which is given a list of search terms and optional flags for things like including descriptions and/or maintainers in the search and returns a list of matching packages with some of their data is 14 lines: 6 to prepare the query from the options, 2 to send/retrieve the results, 3 to filter the results by additional search terms, and 2 more that are only necessary to make the data play well with the other functions in my 'helper'.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-02-25 18:24:53)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer