You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-02 00:16:36

yodermk

Support for arbitrary-resolution, 21:9 monitors?

Hi,

I am salivating over this new monitor announced at CES by LG. 5120x2160 resolution, 34".
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … o_ips.html
Pretty much decided that it needs to be my next monitor. I want to view DCI 4K videos from my camera at 1:1 resolution, and the only other option that I know of is another LG model that has mixed reviews and is behind in specs.  It is supposed to ship in May.

Does Wayland now have good support for arbitrary resolutions like this, or do you think there's likely to be a problem?

Then there's the Thunderbolt 3 port too.  I have no experience on these ports, and not sure how well Linux supports them, but I think it will have DisplayPort also.  (I'll be getting a new laptop and desktop, presumably with Thunderbolt ports.)

Thanks!

Last edited by yodermk (2018-02-02 00:17:02)

#2 2018-02-02 18:07:29

drcouzelis
Website

Re: Support for arbitrary-resolution, 21:9 monitors?

No, I don't have any experience with that hardware, but I can't image why any operating system would have any problem with any resolution... It just queries the monitor for EDID info, and sets the width and height to the preferred size.

I mean, if you plan on running the Haiku operating system with an unsupported video card, then you'll probably only get VESA 1600x1200 resolution... big_smile

Are you worried about everything looking really teensy at that high of a resultion?

#3 2018-02-03 03:04:52

yodermk

Well hopefully I can set minimum font sizes and zoom text.  I thought that was mostly a solved problem, though I personally haven't used a 4K monitor of any stripe yet.

Mainly worried about weird resolutions -- I don't know if any other monitor has this exact res.  I think I've heard that "nonstandard" resolutions were an issue, but that was several years ago.

Guess we'll see when it ships.  I won't buy it right away, so hopefully I won't be the first to try in Linux!

Thanks

#4 2018-02-06 20:22:43

usagi

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 2560 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
<snip>
DVI-I-2 connected 2560x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 673mm x 284mm

I'm using one of the LG ultra wide monitors. It Just Works. Even at that resolution i think you'd be fine, so long as the graphics card max. size is larger than or equal to your monitor res. I run i3 and setting scaling wasn't too bad. I've tested it in Wayland as well no issue.

#5 2018-03-01 16:14:24

davidm

These things generally are needed:

1. GPU has to support that resolution + the refresh rate you want (probably 60hz minimum but some people are okay with 30hz).
2. GPU has to have compatible output ports which interface with the TV at that resolution and refresh rate. (For example >= HDMI 2.0 for 4k @ 60hz) [ideally no convertors, ie. DVI to HDMI, etc]
3. The cable being used between the monitor and the GPU must support the needed amount of bandwidth to drive the desired resolution + refresh rate.
4. The Monitor/TV must support the desired resolution and refresh rate.  Ideally this will also be it's "native resolution"

Since you seem like you might be into photography HDR could end up being a big deal to you.  If so make sure to research that all of the above will be able to handle it at both the desired resolution and the desired refresh rate.

It's easy to miss something.  At such a high resolution above 4k I'm thinking you probably need displayport or >HMDI 2.0b.  Especially if you want HDR at a 60hz refresh rate.  Just HDMI 2.0 might not cut it.  But I am no expert.  I just learned a bit from the experience of hooking up my 4k TV to my GPU.

Last edited by davidm (2018-03-01 16:16:21)

#6 2018-03-01 17:17:50

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

The only thing I remember seeing about monitors with "uncommon" resolutions is this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= … 0-Displays

But this is for Xorg, you mentioned wayland. I suppose wayland does have an IRC channel or mailing list where you could ask about this and any gotchas or minimum versions you might need to be using for things to work smoothly. Except for that do pay close attention to the points davidm has mentioned, you really need to make sure all the hardware does have the necessary support for those high resolutions.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer