You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-09 08:33:36

markus21
Member
Registered: 2015-08-28
Posts: 26

Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

Once again i face a change in the way the trackpoint on my Lenovo ThinkPad X1 G5 works.
Last time it was due to changes in libinput (1.9), and it could be fixed by adding the 'flat' profile for the trackpoint in a xorg config file.

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "Trackpoint"
    MatchProduct "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint"
    Driver "libinput"
    Option "Accel Speed" "1"
    Option "Accel Profile" "flat"
EndSection

Don't know, whether it's a change in libinput again, because I didn't upgrade for about a week. The config file still exists, but it feels harder to control. I don't know whether I just have to get used to it, or if it's simply a step backwards....

Thing is: I accelerates really nicely. But if I fail to hit the right spot for just a bit it's hard to get the las few pixels right, because it just moves too slowly or it takes a huge leap if I push it too hard.

What are your experiences? Do you feel any differences? And could you probably say whats the cause of this?

Last edited by markus21 (2018-03-01 19:09:32)

Offline

#2 2018-02-09 12:10:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 20,445
Website

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

Unfortunately, I don't have any solutions.  But I can confirm that there has been a lot of hacking about with bits relevant to Lenovo trackpoints in the kernel for the past couple months.  Keeping my trackpoint even recognized and functioning at all (on two Lenovo X200s at home and a W540 at work) has been a game of whack-a-mole: each kernel upgrade seems to reshuffle the deck on what configurations or kernel parameters are needed to even have them function at all.  That said, for my hardware it has actually calmed down more recently (no issues for a week or two).


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2018-02-09 13:58:55

markus21
Member
Registered: 2015-08-28
Posts: 26

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

Trilby wrote:

Keeping my trackpoint even recognized and functioning at all (on two Lenovo X200s at home and a W540 at work) has been a game of whack-a-mole: each kernel upgrade seems to reshuffle the deck on what configurations or kernel parameters are needed to even have them function at all.  That said, for my hardware it has actually calmed down more recently (no issues for a week or two).

For me it always worked in some way or another, only probelm so far is that libinput 1.9 and now probably 1.9.4 changed the acceleration profile and becomes way to sensitive...

Found out that the device name changed, too:

Before it was TTPS/2 IBM TrackPoint, now it is TTPS/2 Elan TrackPoint...

If i change the device name in the xorg file according to this it works like before.

Last edited by markus21 (2018-02-10 14:31:39)

Offline

#4 2018-02-10 20:17:31

markus21
Member
Registered: 2015-08-28
Posts: 26

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

markus21 wrote:

If i change the device name in the xorg file according to this it works like before.


Sorry but I have to correct my statement. It does work at first after a reboot with the changed device name. BUT unfortunately it behaves again with this weired acceleration speed after I suspend my ThinkPad and resume. sad
You guys know how that could happen? Shouldn't the xorg conf file be enough to change the behaviour permanentely? I mean it worked before just like that, too. Just altered the device name...

Offline

#5 2018-02-14 18:01:23

markus21
Member
Registered: 2015-08-28
Posts: 26

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

Sorry to boost my own thread again, but the topic still needs a fix and I have some new input to this.

It seems like

 xinput --set-prop 13 'libinput Accel Profile Enabled' 0, 1

helps to set the behaviour to what it should be (at leas for my needs). Problem is I don't know hat to write in the xorg file, since none of the following lines worked...

 Option "Accel Profile" "flat"
 Option "Accel Profile enabled" "0, 1"
 Option "Accel Profile default" "0, 1"

What am I doing wrong? It works when I just use the line above in a terminal, but not in xorg.conf file.

Offline

#6 2018-02-14 18:36:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 20,445
Website

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#7 2018-02-14 18:54:34

markus21
Member
Registered: 2015-08-28
Posts: 26

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

Thank you so much! I thought I did try that configuration as well, after reading about that in the wiki, but obviously I didn't.

But it still doesn't seem consistant to me, why it worked before with the space between Accel and Profile and now it doesn't anymore.

Offline

#8 2018-03-01 19:13:38

markus21
Member
Registered: 2015-08-28
Posts: 26

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

Although I have a xorg.conf file to disable the accel profile, the profile changes from time to time to some sort of weird acceleration. I really don't know what triggers the change.
For now I simply use cmd to issue

xinput --set-prop 12 'libinput Accel Profile Enabled' 0, 1

but that's not really how things should work.

It worked fine with the following xorg file since libinput 1.9, when the new acceleration profile (that made everything worse) was introduced.

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "Trackpoint"
        MatchProduct "TPPS/2 Elan Trackpoint"
	Driver "libinput"
	Option "AccelSpeed" "1"
	Option "AccelProfile" "flat"
EndSection

Has anybody an explanation to why the profile changes?

Last edited by markus21 (2018-03-01 19:15:21)

Offline

#9 2018-06-27 15:31:23

nashamri
Member
Registered: 2014-04-09
Posts: 30

Re: Trackpoint Acceleration Profile changes during usage!

markus21 wrote:

Although I have a xorg.conf file to disable the accel profile, the profile changes from time to time to some sort of weird acceleration. I really don't know what triggers the change.
For now I simply use cmd to issue

xinput --set-prop 12 'libinput Accel Profile Enabled' 0, 1

but that's not really how things should work.

It worked fine with the following xorg file since libinput 1.9, when the new acceleration profile (that made everything worse) was introduced.

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "Trackpoint"
        MatchProduct "TPPS/2 Elan Trackpoint"
	Driver "libinput"
	Option "AccelSpeed" "1"
	Option "AccelProfile" "flat"
EndSection

Has anybody an explanation to why the profile changes?


Hey @markus21, try this, it is working for me:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "Trackpoint"
        MatchIsPointer "yes"
        Option "AccelProfile" "flat"
        Option "AccelSpeed" "1"
EndSection

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB