You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-02 09:42:58

lordnaikon

[SOLVED]Nautilus freeze while attempting to search

I have this problem for quite some time now and i tried to investigates this further today. Every time i try to search (just type some letter while nautilus is in focus) it freezes just immediately. I can see the first few letters in the search bar and it gets unresponsive. Unfortunately it does not crash, no core dump no entry in journalctl and if i start nautilus from the command line no errors or warning get printed. I don't know how to debug this further. I tried to disable all my shell extension (sometimes they produce some trouble) and deleted dropbox and MEGA (which have nautilus integration i guess) but nothing really helps. I tried some gdk/gtk debug flags but there is nothing that really helps i figured. I can't really get anything out of nautilus to help me to hold its hand big_smile

Is there any "verbose debug" flag or such a thing would help in this situation?

PS: it also freezes from time to time while just "sitting around" in the background.
PPS: i have this behavior on two of my machines, the private one at home and my work machine.

EDIT:

i found that

G_MESSAGES_DEBUG=all nautilus

is giving me some more info. Just before the freeze happens it is printing

(nautilus:11729): Tracker-DEBUG: Using backend = 'AUTO'
(nautilus:11729): Tracker-DEBUG: Waiting for service to become available...

so apparently tracker is the problem here ...

EDIT2:

tracker is not really working (i have never used it directly but it is just not doing anything and using G_MESSAGES_DEBUG emits the same "Waiting for service .." message)

i tried to terminate it with

tracker daemon -t

and restarting with

tracker daemon -s

and i get those messages

Starting miners…

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not create proxy on the D-Bus session bus, Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Files: Timeout was reached

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not create proxy on the D-Bus session bus, Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Applications: Timeout was reached

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not create proxy on the D-Bus session bus, Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.RSS: Timeout was reached

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not create proxy on the D-Bus session bus, Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Extract: Timeout was reached

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: No D-Bus proxy found for miner 'org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Files'
  ✗ File System (perhaps a disabled plugin?)

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: No D-Bus proxy found for miner 'org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Applications'
  ✗ Applications (perhaps a disabled plugin?)

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: No D-Bus proxy found for miner 'org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.RSS'
  ✗ RSS/ATOM Feeds (perhaps a disabled plugin?)

(tracker daemon:12739): Tracker-CRITICAL **: No D-Bus proxy found for miner 'org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Extract'
  ✗ Extractor (perhaps a disabled plugin?)

and i have some output in my journalctl various messages from the different miners like

Mär 02 11:15:40 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: Starting Tracker metadata extractor...
Mär 02 11:15:55 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-fs.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
Mär 02 11:15:55 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-fs.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Mär 02 11:15:55 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: Failed to start Tracker file system data miner.
Mär 02 11:15:55 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-fs.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Mär 02 11:15:55 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-fs.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Mär 02 11:15:55 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: Stopped Tracker file system data miner.
Mär 02 11:15:55 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: Starting Tracker file system data miner...
Mär 02 11:15:58 dustin-linux gnome-terminal-[2901]: Allocating size to GtkScrollbar 0x562cf38145e0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?
Mär 02 11:16:20 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-apps.service: Start operation timed out. Terminating.
Mär 02 11:16:20 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-apps.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Mär 02 11:16:20 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: Failed to start Tracker applications data miner.
Mär 02 11:16:20 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-apps.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Mär 02 11:16:20 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: tracker-miner-apps.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Mär 02 11:16:20 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: Stopped Tracker applications data miner.
Mär 02 11:16:20 dustin-linux systemd[1382]: Starting Tracker applications data miner...

EDIT3:

i can't figure what exactly is causing it but resetting the database at least helps

tracker reset -e

Thanks for letting me just write about it big_smile ... it really helps to write things down while your figuring things out. Its just like when you have a problem and talk to someone about it, that does not necessarily entail that that person have a clue about the topic and don't need to answer it. Just explaining something to someone is just what is needed.

Last edited by lordnaikon (2018-03-02 11:17:21)

Board footer