You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-02 17:12:48

drankinatty
Website

Rdesktop Performance After 4.15.6-1 is Notably Slower - What to Check?

All, this is a strange issue. I have an Arch server that virtualizes both Arch and Windows guests using Virtualbox. The guests are started --headless and accessed via rdesktop over the LAN. I have had this same setup for a number of years.

Within the past few days, after update to 4.15.6, (and related xproto, xorg-xkbcomp, etc..) packages since 2/28 or so, the rdesktop graphics perfomance of the guests are terrible. Both Arch Guests (running Fluxbox) and Windows Guests (win7). You can literally watch each of the 50 blocks that make up a window be destroyed and re-painted on window moves. Taskbar uhide/hide and menu display is painfully slow.

I have checked CPU load/utilization (load averate 0.05, 0.05, 0.04) with both guests running at idle (no change there). I have checked network traffic on window move/repaint (max 200-400K/s on a 3M/s wireless link). That isn't causing the problem.

Something has definitely changed in the past 3 days that makes use of remote guests almost unusable.

So, what to check? If it isn't CPU load related and isn't network traffic related, what package changed in the last few days that could be affecting rdesktop so adversely?

Any help is appreciated. It's hard to troubleshoot an issue without knowing where to start...

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

#2 2018-03-03 01:03:20

drankinatty
Website

Re: Rdesktop Performance After 4.15.6-1 is Notably Slower - What to Check?

Well, this was apparently a problem with Virtualbox 5.2.6 and the 4.15 kernel. The 5.2.8 release (2/27), includes support for 4.15 and the graphics performance over rdesktop is much improved. So if you experience poor graphics performance running --headless guests via rdesktop, make sure you update to vbox 5.2.8.

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Board footer