You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-10 21:06:46

tigershot

bind not serving windows

I have BIND 9.3.2 on  2.6.16-ARCH kernel on 0.7.2 and it is my dns server for a local domain and recursive to the internet. I can resolve any name from
the linux box but if I try to nslookup or ping anything from my windows xp home sp2 box it will not resolve. The DNS server is listening on the right address and the windows box has the correct ip address of the server. Anything I can do about this?

#2 2006-07-10 21:43:14

afu

Re: bind not serving windows

Can you ping anything outside of your network using an IP address instead of a name from your Windows box?
-Shawn

#3 2006-07-10 22:22:23

tigershot

Let me reiterate, because i just found out something new. Evidently the other linux box on my network also cannot use the BIND nameserver, so its not Windows. I am using a nameserver from my ISP for my windows box, and everything on the network can ping everything anywhere.  When i use nslookup from windows it just replies me with a list of top-level nameservers, no ip addresses or what not. this is really confusing me, any help appreciated.

#4 2006-07-11 02:04:33

afu

I guessing, but I think bind comes setup as a "caching" server. So my **guess** is that you need to configure your workstations to query it primary and the isp DNS server secondary. Unless you have your own domain, I **think** this is what you need to do. If you have your own domain name, a DNS machine upstream needs to know that you are running your own DNS zone so that it will pass queries down to you to handle. In this case, you are n longer running a "caching server" and will need to configure accordingly as a primary DNS server.

I'm weak in DNS theory, but maybe this will provide some help. If not, sorry to burn your time.
-Shawn

Board footer