You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-28 04:34:17

nikonmsn

Print to file button on Brother MFC-L2720DW printer [SOLVED]

Hi,

I installed sane and brscan4 drivers, I can scan everything just fine. However, there's a button on the printer gui called "Scan to File" on windows when i click this button it sees my laptop/pc, I can select which one to scan the file to.

But it doesn't see my laptop when booted to Arch OS for some reason, just wondering how to trouble shoot adding this feature?

Last edited by nikonmsn (2018-03-03 21:28:26)

#2 2018-03-01 19:31:41

pypi
Wiki Maintainer

Re: Print to file button on Brother MFC-L2720DW printer [SOLVED]

That might be a "feature" in the brother printer drivers and difficult/impossible to get working under Arch.

However, a starting point might be to find what services your computer is running - if you have another machine you can run nmap against your laptop and see what ports are open when Windows is up. I suspect that there are several components here:

- A network discovery protocol (eg Bonjour/ZeroConf - do you have Avahi installed?)
- A program on your laptop implementing some kind of drop box

If you print to a file from the printer, does it let you select where the file goes? If so, what are the options? If not, where does it put things by default? Perhaps Windows has some kind of public drop-box that the printer can post to.

If you want a similar feature you could run a simple ftp server on your laptop and scan to that instead - according to the Brother page I found that should be supported?

#3 2018-03-03 21:28:11

nikonmsn

I do have avahi. I just thought that maybe since the drivers were from brother this feature might be ported also? But you're right, it may be difficult to setup as I know next to nothing about these drivers.

There aren't any special ports open afaik, but I would have to look further into this to confirm. On Windows it saves files to a standard directory that pops open whenever I scan a file using that button. Can't remember exact path, would have to check C:\User\something\or\other

Like I said scanner works with xsane, so I might just leave it at that for Arch, if I need to scan something at least I can do it, the button was just a nice feature, thought maybe someone who knows more about the topic solved this before.

Can you post a link to the Brother page that you're talking about?

#4 2018-03-04 19:24:04

pypi
Wiki Maintainer

Board footer