You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-25 16:58:13

Lone_Wolf

[SOLVED] no visible text in libreoffice and other prog

About 2 weeks ago i suddenly noticed my lxde/openbox environment didn't show any text for menu entries, window management options etc.

I created a fresh test user, got exactly the same.
reverting all updates / changes since previous boot also had no effect.

I switched to lxqt, it did show menus and such.
That allowed me to investigate further.

Since then Lxde, openbox, the gtk-based filechooser used by firefox & thunderbird and libreoffice don't show ANY text.

I've configured lxqt to work with kwin, thunderbird & firefox to use the built-in filechooser instead of the gtk one.
Calligra allows me to use my odf / odt etc files.

While my immediate problems have been worked-around (and i prefer lxqt over lxde) , I still have the underlying issue.
I tried everything i can think of (even tried running full kde), but got nowhere.
All i can state after 2 weeks of searching, checking logs and experimenting is that qt applications are not affected at all.

I focused on libreoffice and found it does show text with a clean user and twm as windowmanager.
Changing SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN as described in our wiki does change the look of icons, but doesn't make text appear.
switching between libreoffice-still and libreoffice-fresh or reverting to older 5.x versions doesn't make  a difference.

Suggestions ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-03-05 15:16:26)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#2 2018-02-27 21:13:04

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] no visible text in libreoffice and other prog

Today I spend several hours on a renewed search and finally got (much) closer to finding the culprit.
The screenshots on https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question … s-no-text/  and description match almost exactly with my problem.

After reading the replys and reflecting on what i had tried i realised i hadn't looked into the graphics driver.
I reverted from mesa-git / llvm-svn to the stable repo versions and everything worked normal again.

Before i can submit a bugreport i need to dig further into this, but atleast I now feel confident about my own troubleshooting skills again.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#3 2018-03-02 01:27:25

Lone_Wolf

The issue is caused by a commit to mesa-git master, details at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105262

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-03-02 01:27:41)

#4 2018-03-05 15:17:30

Lone_Wolf

mesa dev Roland Scheidegger provided a patch.

Board footer