You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-07 15:37:55

walzon

Recovering files from damaged NTFS parition

Wasn't sure where to post but since I made a NEWB mistake I figured this forum was appropriate. Running windows on separate drive I started hearing hard drive noises when being written to. Since the machine wasnt slow or acting funny I was hoping it was just a bad sector and I could extent the life of an already old drive, so I ran a disk repair. Of course I didn't back up anything I'm a genious, and well you guessed it, my windows Users file was overwritten and I am unable to access any of my personal files.

I am in the process of getting a new drive and trying to use gnu ddrescue to recover the files. Totally new to this so I'm not sure what results, if any at all, I will be able to get. Just reaching out for any knowledge or assistance on the matter. Thanks.

Last edited by walzon (2018-03-08 00:51:27)

#2 2018-03-07 17:13:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Recovering files from damaged NTFS parition

Please edit your post and choose a title that actually describes your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_recovery

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-03-07 21:50:05

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

When you say "windows Users file," do you mean the C:\Users directory, or something else? Like you mentioned, ddrescue is a great start, and if you have another working drive available, you can just mirror it to that. If at that point the NTFS partition is corrupted, PhotoRec (or something similar) would be the ideal next step.

#4 2018-03-08 00:17:44

walzon

Yes C:Users is corrupt using linux konsole I get 'Users' :No such file or Directory as well as windows, temp and a few more. Via CMD in windows I try to cd in into C:Users and it says files corrupted unable to access. My guess is that the access was turned off due to a bad sector question is will ddrescue still access these areas of the drive?

#5 2018-03-08 00:20:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

Please edit your post and choose a title that actually describes your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2018-03-08 00:35:55

loqs

"Hard Drive recovery I made huge newb mistake" how does "I made a huge newb mistake" describe the issue you want help with?
"Recovering files from damaged NTFS parition"  "Recovering files from NTFS after running X" where X is whatever tool you initially used seem to better described the issue.

#7 2018-03-08 01:00:36

walzon

jasonwryan wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

loqs wrote:

"Hard Drive recovery I made huge newb mistake" how does "I made a huge newb mistake" describe the issue you want help with?
"Recovering files from damaged NTFS parition"  "Recovering files from NTFS after running X" where X is whatever tool you initially used seem to better described the issue.

I don't use forums much usually spend my time using searches. Apologies for not being able to come up with a better title. Very welcoming.

#8 2018-03-08 07:59:12

seth

I ran a disk repair.

*What* "disk repair"?

I didn't back up anything I'm a genious

"And a very stable one at that" - but we learn by fucking up.

my windows Users file was overwritten

What "disk repair" overrides files??

I am unable to access any of my personal files

What and from where? Windows login? Why is this a(n arch)linux related problem?
Were things encrypted? If not, tried offline access (eg. mounting the disk from linux)? Are the files still there?

See the link Jason provided, but if the "disk repair" went over and rewrote all sectors, you can kiss everything it touched goodbye.

Board footer