You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-10 14:19:38

Sberlos

Unusable system after waking up from suspend

Hello everyone,

Sometimes I have a strange problem when waking up my laptop from suspend: the system is completely unusable, at the beginning I can switch between some (non every one of them) virtual monitors and move the mouse but usually I can't type in any shell or if I manage to do so the commands don't execute and after a moment the system completely freeze.
This problem happens "randomly", but it seems to be limited to the times where my computer stays suspended for more that one hour.

One of the first times I managed to get to type reboot in a shell and after a while I got the message "unable to talk to the init system" (the exact words could have been different but I didn't manage to make a photo of it).
The only solution that I have is to press the power button and force the shutdown.

My computer is a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon from 2015 where I immediately installed Arch and it worked flawlessly until the last two weeks.
I use Awesome WM and linux-hardened (4.15.7.a-1).
I update frequently (every couple of days) therefore I have some problems in identifying the updates that changed this behaviour due to it's random nature.

I don't know if it could be related but sometimes I have to restart dhcpcd.service after reboot because it becomes inactive.

This are my journalctl and dmesg entries after one occurrence of the problem:

journalctl of the current boot after the crash

journalctl of the past boot where the crash occured

Dmesg after the crash

Please tell me if I have to provide something more in order to help diagnose the problem.

#2 2018-03-10 14:47:50

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Unusable system after waking up from suspend

No obvious signs of an error in any of these. And it really doesn't sound like a crash because you apparently can still "do stuff" albeit slowly.

A few general things: Set up your microcode updates in any case, verify that it isn't just X, awesome slowing down (e.g. does the "crash" fix itself if you simply restart X instead of the whole computer) ,take laptop mode tools out of the picture, try stock/linux-lts kernels.

#3 2018-03-10 17:14:44

Sberlos

Thank you very much, I installed intel-ucode and modified grub in order to enable them (even tho there is no sign in update in the dmesg after a reboot), I will try every step that you suggested one after another in order to try to identify the source of problem. I will post updates.

Is there a good way of restarting X when the whole system is not responding properly as in my case?

#4 2018-03-10 20:20:43

V1del
Forum Moderator

There should be some form of microcode update applied, did you run the correct regenerating command? You have to do that after adjusting the config.

[Firmware Bug]: TSC_DEADLINE disabled due to Errata; please update microcode to version: 0x25 (or later)

should be absent and the very first line in dmesg should inform you of the update having been applied

As for Xorg: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … BBackspace and/or generally switching to a TTY

#5 2018-03-11 00:20:11

Sberlos

I installed the intel-ucode package and executed

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

as the wiki says, did I miss something?

I enabled the Ctrl+Alt+backspace combination, thank you!

#6 2018-03-13 20:13:12

Sberlos

I have an update: while still having the exact same system as before (same kernel and laptop mode tools still enabled), I had an occurence of the problem. I used the Ctrl+alt+backspace combination and initially the sceen showed only a past [OK] message (that can bee seen in this photo) and then, after a while, messages saying that various processes were blocked for more than 120 seconds (as you can see here, sorry for the poor quality of the photos, hope you can read the log messages anyway). Later the following message appeared

systemd[1]: Failed to start Journal Service.

I've read online that are caused by process that wait for I/O operations for long time and the underlying reason can be a disk problem. I've read that Arch does a fsck at every boot, can I exclude the disk problem or is it just a matter of me not seeing/not knowing where to look for that information?
In those three blog posts (1 2 3) they suggest to change the value that manage the cache flushing system modifing vm.dirty_ratio and vm.dirty_background_ratio, is it something that you would advise to do or something to be careful about?

#7 2018-03-14 09:00:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

That doesn't look good, run a extended SMART test on the drive and post/look at the results of

smartctl -a /dev/sda

afterwards. Best case scenario it's simply some incompatible power mode change, and you should configure laptop-mode-tools to set max performance for the SATA layer to see if that rules something out.

Edit: With this new information I checked back on your previous logs, we are talking a Samsung SSD(?) here. They are notorious for this, so definitely rule that out by adjusting the reelvant setting in laptop-mode-tools. Run a SMART check either way, it's always a good idea to run that periodically.

Edit2: And why do you mount with a commit=600 ? that's insanely high and potentially contributing.

Last edited by V1del (2018-03-14 09:08:17)

#8 2018-03-14 20:56:06

Sberlos

Thank you again for your help!

Here Is the output of the smart test, and as you guessed it is a samsung ssd.

I changed the setting in intel-sata-powermgmt.conf for BATT_SATA_POLICY from min_power to max_performance, is it enough?

For the mounting option I have no idea, after you mentioned I went reading about it and I didn't know what it is and I don't recall changing it in any way, so I have no response to your question. If you think I have to change it I will try to find a way to modify that value.

#9 2018-03-15 10:13:35

V1del
Forum Moderator

Most likely place is your fstab. It really isn't good that you don't know this, this suggests you randomly copy pasted configuration from somewhere without understanding what it does, or worse followed a third party guide to install Arch.

That said those SMART values look alright, but there's also information that you haven't ran a test yet. Refer to the wiki page for how to explicitly schedule a test. The output will be much more useful after a test ran.

That setting change should be enough yes, however I'm not all that knowledgeable on the laptop-mode-tools internals.

#10 2018-03-15 21:08:46

Sberlos

I followed the official documentation for the installation but sadly I can't exclude that 3 years ago I copied and pasted a configuration that I didn't fully understand or that I misinterpreted. I don't recall changing any value related to mount or any such "low level" setting as the only changes that I recall were related to the hdpi screen.
I include a link to my fstab but there is no commit option set.
Here is the smartctl output after a short and long test.

Last edited by Sberlos (2018-03-15 21:10:12)

Board footer