You are not logged in.
So I bought a new laptop with a high res screen (3840x2160). When I booted from the Arch installation ISO it defaulted to the max resolution, making the terminal text so small it was unreadable. I ended up plugging in an old low res external monitor I had in the garage in order to be able to get Arch installed. Once I installed the system (with XFCE) I was able to switch the resolution to something more sane.
However, when it boots it always reverts back to 3840x2160 until XFCE loads. That means that the boot loader screen text is insanely small, as is the luks decryption message. I'm also not using a display manager, so the terminal I get initially also has text that you need laser vision to read. Once I run startx it the display settings update.
So my question is this: Is it possible to set the resolution early on before the boot sequence? I looked in the bios but it's not an option there.
Thanks...
EDIT: You know... a bit of searching is always good. I discovered I could add consolefont to the mkinitcpio HOOKS, and then specify a font using /etc/vconsole.com. I'll give that a go...
Last edited by usr/bin/foobar (2018-03-14 05:22:13)
Offline
Offline
Fantastic.
I added video=2560x1440 to /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf along with a default font to /etc/vconsole.com and things are good now... except:
The initial systemd splash screen is still tiny. It appears the monitor resolution isn't set until after that screen is shown. Not sure if there's a solution to that.
Thanks for your help.
Offline
Early KMS?
Offline
I tried everything. Disabling KSM, adding kernel parameters, adding i915, etc. Nothing i do makes any difference. The systemd boot splash screen is always microscopic. I suppose I can live with that since the font size does get increased right after the splash. Thanks for you help, Jason.
Offline