You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-14 09:54:16

tydynrain
Website

[Wiki] Syncthing: Cloud storage servers/Cloud synchronization clients

Hello Archers. So today I was perusing the List of applications in the Wiki, and noticed that Syncthing was not present under Cloud storage servers or Cloud synchronization clients, so I decided to add it under both sections, as it has both functionalities implemented. My additions were removed by Lahwaacz with the comments that:

syncthing is not a cloud storage server

This surprised and confused me, as I've used Syncthing for a few years now, and in exactly that manner.

On Syncthing's Website it says at the top of the page:

Syncthing replaces proprietary sync and cloud services with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.

While Syncthing does not function only as a cloud storage server/client, it does indeed have the flexibility to do so. As an example, I have a central Syncthing server (an old laptop) to which I have multiple devices (computers and my phone) connect directly in a wheel-spoke fashion, so they each connect to the server, yet not to each other, and any changes made on any client device are automatically synced to the server, which then syncs those changes to the other clients. This synchronization works not only within my network, but also from the internet. That, to me at least, falls within definition of cloud storage server/cloud synchronization client functionality.

I don't at all want or intend to cause conflict, especially with individuals, who, like myself, contribute their time and effort to help make Arch better, I'm just interested clarity about this. If I am incorrect, then I'll absolutely accept that (would not be the first time, of course).

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#2 2018-03-14 15:07:40

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Wiki] Syncthing: Cloud storage servers/Cloud synchronization clients

"Cloud" here is referring to public cloud, like AWS. That is why syncthing's website says "replaces... cloud services", i.e., is not a cloud service.

Your setup is like mine, which is not really a "cloud", at least not according to NIST.

Syncthing is under https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ronization, which is the correct categorisation, imo.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2018-03-14 15:29:38

progandy

@jasonwryan: He tried to add it here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … did=513608
This list doesn't contain public cloud providers, but software like nextcloud and seafile which all seem to have a web interface and a central location where data can be stored for multiple users. As far as I know, Syncthing doesn't have file access via the webinterface and is more decentralized and you can synchronize between different devices without a central server.

Edit. It was rejected for "Cloud synchronization clients" as well, probably because it is not a pure client/server architecture, but more of a peer-to-peer setup. There is no server where data is stored for multiple users, each syncthing instance is only able to sync data for a single user.

Last edited by progandy (2018-03-14 16:00:58)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2018-03-14 17:07:02

tydynrain
Website

@jasonwryan and @progandy, thank you for your explanations, I appreciate it. I understand the difference now.

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

Board footer